Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies and Algebraic Specifications

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 12:58:40 -0500
The benefit of getting SAS and ONT to work together would be the
ability to seamlessly cross over from one type of idea/information to
another, also to narrow down the spectrum of "everything we know".
Algebra may be able to cover what semantics cannot and vice versa.
Techniques developed for one approach may be able to assist the other.    (01)

I'm interested in comparing the opposite approaches to redundancy
because, how could you tell if a knowledge nugget was already covered
in another (sorry to use this word)... language? It would be ideal to
identify redundancies across the whole spectrum to show wide spread
knowledge or deep authoritative interest to push or elevate these
sources and data chunks higher up for us surface skimmers/casual
observers.    (02)

JH on SAS Redundancy: Not every arrangement of tokens constitutes a
well-formed trait.  As well as syntactic redundancy (e.g., mandatory
declaration of operators and variables), there are special language
constructs (e.g., *assumes*, *implies*, and *converts*) whose primary
purposes are a) to raise the chance that an error will cause a
mechanically-detectable inconsistency, and b) to give human readers
ways to grow and check their understanding.    (03)

PH on ONT Redundancy Tool Support: More usually, the TOL *is* the
logical form. For example, OWL reasoners typically work directly with
some form of OWL syntax. Pat, can you please explain more?    (04)

Thanks,    (05)

Debbie MacPherson    (06)

On 2/27/07, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I've been following the messages to this list
> >for about six months now, hoping to learn how
> >modern ontologies, and related methodologies and
> >tools, can help in building reasoning tools to
> >improve the performance of computer networks.
> >
> >I suspect that I have now learned enough to be
> >dangerous.  I'd like to check my understanding
> >and solicit guidance.
> >
> >---
> >
> >Disclaimer: I have no expertise in NLP.  I know
> >just enough about it to remember how promising a
> >technology it has been since I entered the field
> >in 1959, and how poorly widely-available systems
> >like Google's do today.*
> >
> >Much of my background is in programming
> >methodology and formal methods for digital
> >systems.  In the 70s and 80s, I did quite a lot
> >of work in structured algebraic specifications
> >(SAS), which seem to me to present a number of
> >analogies with the approaches being discussed on
> >this list (ONT), some of which I will discuss
> >presently.  If the analogies are valid, they
> >will strengthen my confidence.  If not, they are
> >probably going to lead me astray.
> >
> >I will couch my discussion of SAS in terms of
> >the Larch Shared Language (LSL), because I am
> >most familiar with it, not because of any
> >superiority over more recent algebraic
> >specification languages like CASL.  I doubt that
> >the details of the differences among SAS
> >languages are any more important for discussion
> >at this level than are the differences among ONT
> >languages.
> >
> >When I say something about SAS, I feel confident
> >about my grasp.  However, when I assert
> >something about ONT, it is to test my
> >understanding, not to advance an argument.
> >
> >---
> >
> >I will sketch some apparent correspondences
> >between SAS and ONT below.  My main questions
> >are:
> >
> >1. Are these correspondences real, or have I missed something important?
> >   [1a.  If they are real, is that a coincidence,
> >    or a reflection of some deep property of the way
> >    our minds organize our perception of reality?]
>
> I would be VERY leery of any such psychological claim.
>
> >2. Can SAS and ONT really say roughly the same
> >things?  Or are they each only helpful in their
> >own (almost) disjoint domains?
> >
> >3. What can be expressed in ONT, but not in SAS?
> >How important is it to be able to express these
> >things?  In what circumstances does the extra
> >power justify the cost?  (There is always a
> >cost.)
> >
> >4. What can be expressed in SAS, but not in ONT?
> >How important is it to be able to express these
> >things?  In what circumstances does the extra
> >power justify the cost?
> >
> >I think that's enough to start a free-for-all,
> >so I will save for later my further questions,
> >like how ONT languages deal with the things that
> >we saw as critical design issues in LSL.
> >
> >---
> >LSL, an SAS language
> [...]

Deborah MacPherson
www.accuracyandaesthetics.com
www.deborahmacpherson.com    (010)

The content of this email may contain private
confidential information. Do not forward, copy,
share, or otherwise distribute without explicit
written permission from all correspondents.    (011)