Re: [ontolog-forum] Logic, Datalog and SQL

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Cory Casanave" <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:47:29 -0500
re: Do hypothesis have a legitimate right to exist in a formal ontology
or should the ontology be used solely as a factual basis to feed some
form of inference machine to form further hypothesis?    (01)

Duane,
Our primary interest in ontologies is to represent architectures,
specifications & designs - you could well call these hypothesis.  This
would seem to be the subject of this ongoing debate on intention, so
this would put me firmly in that camp.  We are not trying to discover
the state of the world but to specify how systems (systems includes
business, communities, ants, missions, computers...) do an should work
and should work together.  This, of course, requires a good model of the
real world we touch - or at least the aspects of that real world that
impact such designs. The architecture or design is the conceptualized
state of affairs.    (02)

In such a domain the concepts of the design are the tools we work with
and these tools need both precision and a fit for the user - rich
concepts that people in the domain can use to design and architect their
systems.  So defining the ontology of architecture and design is, to us,
the point. Having that provide good tools that resonate with the
understanding of what is being specified as well as have a well defined
and consistent world view provides the connections between facets' of
architecture that, up to now, have remained somewhat disjoint.  This
provides a different use case from the ontologies focused on real-world
analysis (Such as, perhaps, the medical ontologies).    (03)

So I would say yes - a formal ontology can live in the realm of
hypotheses as an interpretation of or anticipation of a "possible
world".    (04)

-Cory     (05)