Re: [ontolog-forum] Visual Complexity

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 20:53:50 -0500
Chuck,    (01)

They both have a tripartite structure, which was stimulated
the semiotics of C. S. Peirce:    (02)

 > There is a great deal of similarity (to me, at least) between
 > the diagram you show below, and the traditional semiotic
 > triangle (which shows the relationship between a referent,
 > an understood meaning for that referent, and a stated term
 > representing that meaning).    (03)

That triangle was drawn by Ogden and Richards in their book,
_The Meaning of Meaning_, which also contained excerpts by
C. S. Peirce in an appendix.  The tripartite structure of
my diagram was also inspired by some things that Peirce had
said.  But we were trying to represent different aspects of
what Peirce was talking about.    (04)

What is common to both diagrams is "Thirdness", but I
definitely do not want to get into a discussion of that.    (05)