Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontolog Invited Speaker - Professor Alan Rector - Th

To: peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 09:51:10 -0700
Peter,    (01)

Glad to hear from you again ... and to see your update at your
namesake page on the Ontolog wiki. I'll look forward to talking to you
next Thursday.    (02)

Skipping intros ... Yes ... we've actually done that a few times
already (guess you'd probbaly caught that in some of the recordings.    (03)

As for skipping right to the talks, I have, of late (since late June
... don't know if you have noticed), taken the time to identify the
spot where one can start listening - see, for example:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_08_10#nidPEU
(also done for the sessions: ConferenceCall_2006_06_29,
ConferenceCall_2006_07_06, ConferenceCall_2006_07_13 besides for
ConferenceCall_2006_08_10.) ... If one plays the mp3 from your
computer, I guess most players will allow one to navigate to that
particular time point. This, of course, still doesn't solve your
problem when one has to play it on, say a simple portable mp3 player
(which probably wouldn't even support fast-forward, as you suggested,
let alone navigating to a particular time point.)    (04)

There has been some discussion, among the Ontolog folks, about
synching the audio with slides (which require indexing specific time
point to signal the slide advance, at its simplest). With the added
indexing capability, identifying where one can start "right into the
talk" will not be difficult ... then again, this will call for an even
more sophisticated playback device than your simple mp3 player indeed!    (05)

... let's keep thinking about it and solicit ideas from the community!    (06)

Comments and suggestions from ANYONE on what we can do to help the
async participants?    (07)

Regards.  =ppy    (08)

P.S. Let me also take the opportunity to solicit all members who
hasn't populated their namesake page on the wiki to do so. See:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidLGY
Thanks.  =ppy