[ontolog-forum] Re: Ontologizing the Ontolog Content - session 1 - Thu

To: Denise Bedford <dbedford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Maximilien <maxim@xxxxxxxxxx>, Nicolas F Rouquette <nicolas.rouquette@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Conor Shankey <cshankey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:02:30 -0700
Hi Denise, Nicolas, Max & Conor,    (01)

Just picked this up (Nancy J. Massey
<n.j.massey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted this to the KM.GOV [KM-LIST] a
couple of hours ago) ...    (02)

Source: http://www.fcw.com/article92703-03-27-06-Print    (03)

//    (04)

NASA’s new mission: Manage institutional knowledge    (05)

Space agency will use collaborative technologies to capture and
share lessons learned    (06)

BY Aliya Sternstein
FCW, Mar. 27, 2006    (07)

...[snip]... NASA’s new knowledge management system will have
several components, including the Lessons Learned Information
System, which the agency is testing now. The Web portal provides
advanced capabilities for searching or browsing 48 NASA
engineering repositories. It uses semantic search technologies to
retrieve structured and unstructured data. The system searches
only accredited data sources, not informal blog entries or notes.    (08)

In addition to the Lessons Learned portal, the knowledge
management system will have a communities of practice portal with
instant messaging and search functions, which Robinson said would
be the system’s greatest benefit. By using communities of
practice, for example, an engineer could consult with a group of
experts via an interactive message board. If a scientist needed
to conduct a test in a thermal vacuum chamber but was unsure how
to set it up, experienced NASA engineers could offer suggestions
in real time. The system would record the conversation for future
reference.    (09)

An expertise locator will complete NEN. By using the locator, a
scientist could enter a phrase or a string of terms, such as
“thermal test,” and the system would generate a list of experts
associated with that term and their contact information.    (010)

To encourage scientists and engineers to use the collaborative
system, NASA created an agencywide Lessons Learned Steering
Committee, which has members from each of NASA’s 10 centers. The
committee members train others to use the system. ... (more)...
//    (011)

Very relevant to what we are exploring, isn't it.    (012)

Nicolas, are you involved, or close to the people who are working
on this. Can we get some of them to share their insights?    (013)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy
--    (014)