Re: [ontolog-forum] Proceedings of the Upper Ontology Summit - 2006.03.1

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Upper Ontology Summit Organizing Committee <uos-org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:38:18 -0800
I am happy to report that we had a REALLY successful Upper
Ontology Summit event yesterday (2006.03.15).    (01)

As usual, the proceedings (speakers' slide and all) are available on
the respective session pages on our wiki. See:    (02)

(a)  for the he Upper Ontology Summit (3/16/06 pm meeting proper):
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummitMeeting_2006_03_15
   (KG5)    (03)

(b) for the Upper Ontology Application Dialog (3/15/06 am):
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit/UosApplicationDialogMeeting_2006_03_15    (04)

Apart from the fact that we were able to pool together most of the top
public Upper Ontology experts from around the world to this summit,
the highlight of the event has been the release of a Joint Communique
by the custodians of all key public formal upper ontologies, which I
will enumerate below:    (05)

//
Upper Ontology Summit
Joint Communiqué
March 15, 2006    (06)

[1] The theory and technology of knowledge representation, reasoning
and conceptual modeling have advanced to a stage where meanings of
terms can be formally specified in computer systems with great detail
and precision.    (07)

[2] With the success and expansion of the internet, the potential for
achieving semantic interoperability across interconnected applications
has become widely recognized, and the number of teams and individuals
creating knowledge classifications of varying degrees of logical
formality has dramatically increased. As this technology develops
further, it will enable deployment of computer applications with
increasing ability to make reliable knowledge-based decisions that
currently require human effort. Programs with such enhanced capacity
will increase the speed, efficiency, and sophistication of automated
information analysis and exploitation.    (08)

[3] Much recent emphasis has been focused on creating common syntactic
formalisms for representing knowledge, but syntactic formalisms alone
do not provide an effective way for describing what counts most:
semantic content.    (09)

[4] The complementary technology for effectively representing the
semantic content of complex widely used concepts is also available,
but agreement on standardized conceptual building blocks has not yet
been reached.    (010)

[5] The need for such agreement is increasing rapidly as many isolated
projects of varying complexity have been initiated to capture
knowledge in computer-interpretable formalisms. Without the means for
specifying intended meaning by means of well-understood conceptual
building blocks clearly related and contrasted with each other, the
great potential for sharing knowledge usable for computer reasoning
will not be realized.    (011)

[6] Several candidate upper ontologies are available, reflecting
decades of research and development.    (012)

[7] Each upper ontology has an existing community of users, but each
community only has access to a fraction of the total resources
available.    (013)

[8] To promote interoperability and the exploitation of these upper
ontologies, we intend to find a principled means of articulating the
relationships (including differences) among them. As a result, this
initiative will significantly enhance the value of the knowledge in
each of the communities whose knowledge bases are linked to these
interrelated upper ontologies.    (014)

[9] These upper ontologies are available and should be rigorously and
independently evaluated. They must also be easy to use and assess by
developers of domain ontologies and applications.    (015)

[10] For the forseeable future, we anticipate there will be multiple
upper ontologies. We will articulate the commonalities and the reasons
for the major differences in the upper ontologies.    (016)

Hereby unanimously supported by the following upper ontology custodians:
  John Bateman - Spatial Cognition, Robotics and Natural Language
  Aldo Gangemi - DOLCE - Description & Situation extensions
  Michael Gruninger - PSL / ISO 18629
  Nicola Guarino - DOLCE
  Doug Lenat - OpenCyc
  Adam Pease - SUMO
  Barry Smith - BFO
 Matthew West - ISO 15926
//    (017)

(Ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit/UosJointCommunique
)    (018)

Congratulations to all who participated to make the Upper Ontology
Summit, the technical contributions and the collaborative spirit of
the UO community happen!    (019)

... I'm sure there will be more exciting news to follow. Stay tuned!    (020)

Regards.  =ppy
--    (021)