[ontolog-forum] Taxonomy & Data Model

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Carl Mattocks" <carlmattocks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 18:54:53 -0500 (EST)

Since I am in agreement with much of what has been said by others on the
(slightly paraphrased) Topic of 'is a Taxonomy a valuable addition to a
Data Model' .. I will share some perspectives I have gained while
developing an Ontology For IT Service Management.    (01)

The terms, the meaning of the terms and the interrelationship between the
terms of a taxonomy should be consistent with the concepts defined in the
data model of that same domain . This should also be true for a process
model that identifies the events that change the state of the entities of
that same domain. Further, it should also be true for any formal
specification that defines the contextual  who, what, where and why the
data model itself was constructed. In a nutshell , the taxonomy is a
quality assurance device.    (02)

Should the taxonomy be hierarchical it provides a wonderful startpoint for
explaining the content of the database generated using the data model.    (03)

Should the taxonomy be a more formal class realtionship structure it
provides a foundation for any navigational tool that supports browsing of
the data.    (04)

--
Carl Mattocks
co-Chair OASIS (ISO/TS 15000) ebXMLRegistry Semantic Content SC