Re: [ontolog-forum] Proceedings of the Thu 2005-12-01 Conference Call

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:02:27 -0800
We had a really productive conference call today. In particular,
we devoted quite a bit of time in the planning of the upcoming
(2005.12.15) Technical Discussion on "Ontology Applications and
Implementations", as well as a major "upper ontology" event that
we are co-organizing with other fellow Ontology communities.    (01)

See proceedings from today's call at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2005_12_01#nidI89    (02)

Of particular interest are:    (03)

1. The following upcoming events (Mark your calendars!):    (04)

(a) Dr. James Spohrer, Director of Services Research at IBM's
Almaden Research Center will be our invited speaker for December,
and will be presenting to the community on Thursday, Dec. 8,
2005. The title of his talk will be: "Services Science,
Management, and Engineering (SSME)." ... Please refer to details
on the
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2005_12_08
session page. ... RSVP now!    (05)

(b) Mr. Duane Nickull (Adobe) and Mr. Kurt Conrad (Sagebrush
Group & Ontolog co-convener) will be leading another scheduled
discussion Thursday Dec. 15, 2005. This will be on the topic of
"Ontology Applications and Implementations". Please refer to
forum posting from the organizers, and check out the session wiki
page at
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2005_12_15
for more details as this event develops.    (06)

(c) Dr. Leo Obrst from MITRE will be presenting to the community
on Thursday, January 12, 2006. His talk is entitled: "What is an
ontology? - A Briefing on the Range of Semantic Models" ...
Please refer to details on the wiki session page closer to the
time for details.    (07)

(d) Professor Asuman Dogac from the Middle East Technical
University (METU) in Turkey will be presenting to the community
on Thursday, February 9, 2006. Her talk is entitled: "Exploiting
ebXML Registry Semantics in the eHealth Domain" ... Please refer
to details on the wiki session page closer to the time for details.    (08)

2. We are setting up an organizing committee to work on the
"Upper Ontology" panel event that is likely to take place at NIST
in March 2006. So far, we have SteveRay (Event Moderator),
PatCassidy, LeoObrst, KurtConrad & PeterYim (organizing committee
coordinator) who have volunteered. Anyone else interested in
volunteering to help organize this event are welcomed. Please
e-mail Peter (peter.yim-at-cim3.com) to so indicate (hopefully
on/before next Thursday, 2005.11.08). See details of our
discussion on this event at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2005_12_01#nidIAJ    (09)

(BrandNiemann/PatCassidy: you might want to relay this message to
the SICOP/ONTAC/COSMO folks too.)    (010)

Look forward to talking to you at next Thursday's invited speaker
event (which starts 2005.12.08 10:30am PST / 1:30pm EST 18:30
UTC). Dr. Spohrer and his team represent real leading edge
research and work on the "Services Sciences" arena. You don't
want to miss it. ... Register with the undersigned
(peter.yim-at-cim3.com) now so that we can prepare the necessary
resource fro your participation.    (011)

Best regards.  =ppy