Re: [ontolog-forum] Re: Unambiguous context information

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nicolas F Rouquette <nicolas.rouquette@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 19:50:51 -0700
Please be aware that I don't speak in any way for NASA, JPL or the
California Institute of Technology.    (01)

The formal ontology approach is very appealing to me for several reasons.    (02)

1) it is a "relative" formalization of 'context', 'description', ....    (03)

Duane raised questions about what variables and other considerations are
part of 'context'.
This is important because we also need to reason about what is
explicitly known to
be irrelevant as much as reason about what is explicitly known to be
relevant.
When it's grey, then we're subject to discrepencies of interepretation
(you mean X & I mean Y)
because some aspects of the context are subjectively defined.    (04)

2) there is already a lot of solid work that has been done to
"formalize" these notions    (05)

- DOLCE is one example.    (06)

- NIST's Process Specification Language is another example, albeit more
limited in scope    (07)

- There's another "Bob Smith" ;-)   who has a lot of interesting things
to say on the matter as well:  http://ontology.buffalo.edu/smith/    (08)

-  There are some commercial efforts as well
(e.g., TopQuadrant's "representational shift" approach)    (09)

3) At the end of the day, what matters is to have an explicit definition
of what "context" is
that is independently verifiable by a third-party. To verify context
claims, we need a simple
way to reach an agreement on the semantic meaning of a context
definition. This is sometimes
more difficult to achieve with commercial systems that might rely on
proprietary systems &
whose semantics might change. Commercial enterprises have a role to play
but I don't believe
we have yet established a synergetic symbiosis of academic research,
open-source practices
critical for standarization / reference implementations and proprietary
systems that add
a non-functional value-added to the whole picture (if there's functional
distortion, then
we're back to square one w.r..t. having to validate proprietary systems
or having our
IP locked in a proprietary tool)    (010)

4) Although formal ontology offers the intellectual "high-road" approach
to 'context' , 'situation', 'process', etc...
there is, in practice, a significant gap between how much of this can
actually be achieved with the current
state of the affairs w.r.t. tools, standards, validation suites, etc..
We don't even "apply" the notions of
context, description, etc... to talk about our own semantic web
technology, processes, etc...    (011)

-- Nicolas.    (012)

Bob Smith wrote:    (013)