[ontolog-forum] ONTOLOG wiki upgraded

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:41:00 -0800
I am pleased to inform everyone that the ONTOLOG wiki system has just been
upgraded, and all previous content successfully migrated to the new system.    (01)

  See: http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/    (02)

These are some of the highlights of the new upgrade:    (03)

 o  improved User Interface    (04)

 o  visited pages ("bread crumb") trail to help people get back to pages they
just visited    (05)

 o  RSS support (to allow syndication of the latest changes)    (06)

 o  content filtering (in addition to IP filtering) to help fight wiki spam    (07)

 o  account creation (and login) with CAPTCHA spambot blocking    (08)

 o  InterMap - for easy navigation to other wiki's    (09)

 o  ... lots more (providing a much more extensible and robust backend)    (010)

To allow us to effectively fight spammers, but to keep our commitment of
allowing people who can read-from the wiki to be able to write-to it, we will
be requiring everyone to create an account on the system and login before they
can start editing the wiki content. In particular, during this account creation
process, the CAPTCHA module (which requires the user to type in a character
string that is presented to him/her in fairly ragged graphic format) that is
implemented will help us blocking spamming robots and (hopefully) only allow
human users to register.    (011)

For now, while the use of a password is still optional, we would recommend that
users do USE A PASSWORD (albeit, something simple, to help fight spoofing),
when they create their account. Down the road, we are looking toward building a
trusted community of users on the CWE around the XRI/XDI-based I-Names (for
more information about this, see: http://www.xns.org/xri-and-xdi-explained.html
).    (012)

Please also note that, because of the new backend, and the new purple numbering
system, all purple numbers (nid#'s) have been re-assigned. The new
PurpleNumbers are now pegged to the site, rather than to an individual pages.
As a result, earlier PurpleNumbered links will only take people to the correct
pages (rather than the paragraphs or bullet points as originally intended.) I
solicit everyone's help to amend and update the PurpleNumbered links whenever
they come across them, so that they point back to the intended locations within
the pages.    (013)

Kindly review the upgraded system and direct any question you may have to me.    (014)

I would like to take the opportunity to thank Eugene Kim and Blue Oxen
Associates (Lead Developer of PurpleWiki), Jonathan Cheyer (Tech Lead of the
CIM3.NET infrastructure), and Arnold Yim (for actually doing the migration of
the Ontolog wiki content to the upgraded system.)    (015)

Best regards.  =ppy    (016)

Peter P. Yim
http://public.xdi.org/=Peter.Yim    (017)

Co-convener,