[ontolog-forum] Planning Input from Mike Daconta [was-Re: Joining Ontol

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 07:40:52 -0800
Got the following input from Mike Daconta (a long time member of
the community), on my request for his input, even if he cannot
join us in person:    (01)

Daconta, Michael wrote Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:04:27 -0500:

> The key thing that the Ontolog community must do is focus on the bridge
> from today's technologies to the semantic web.  Bridge concepts are
> things like namespace documents (RDDL), linking XML Schema to
> Ontologies, standardizing relationships (like in the taxonomy article I
> just did for XML.com), resolving the upper ontology versus the ontology
> mapping debate, bridging to the developer community with how we will
> allow programming languages to expose their object models as ontologies
> (OWL2Java, Java2OWL), and focus on really key issues like relevance
> (intersection between who the user is, what they want and what we have).
> I have more ideas but that is all I have time to brain-dump for now...
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael C. Daconta
> Metadata Program Manager
> Department of Homeland Security
> tel: (202)692-4340
> email: michael.daconta@xxxxxxx    (02)

Thank you, Mike. =ppy    (03)

P.S. The article Mike is referring to is his paper entitled:
"Formal Taxonomies for the U.S. Government" dated Jan. 26, 2005.
It's available online at:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/01/26/formtax.html    (04)