[ontolog-forum] Collaborative development environment [was - Fwd: Re: On

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:40:39 -0800
Thank you, Scott, for the posts ... welcome to the community!    (01)

(I'm moving part of what you were discussing to this new thread, Scott.)    (02)

I appreciate some of the wonderful resources and suggestions Scott has
brought up in his post. Here are a few things that came to mind.    (03)

1. Compendium
Yes, great work they're doing there. Since addressing issues relating to
"informal ontologies" is part of Ontolog Forum's charter, you may want
to suggest (at one of our weekly calls, say) that we invite someone like
Simon Buckingham Shum over as a speaker one of these days.    (04)

2. Collaboration platform
Plenty of good nuggets in your post, Scott, Thanks.
It may also be useful if we tackle the issue at two different levels:    (05)

(a)  tools/platform for collaborative ontology development - this, in my
opinion, would be project specific, and depend heavily on the project in
question, the people (and their specific skill sets) involved and the
resources available. Among the platforms employed in specific projects
so far are:    (06)

  (a.1)  SIGMA-kee by Adam Pease, which, incidentally is hosted on
SourceForge. (see: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sigmakee/), and    (07)

  (a.2)  Protégé ** (see: http://protege.stanford.edu/)    (08)

(b)  the distributed collaboration environment, as well as the
processes, which, along with the membership and their individual and
collective attitudes, form the culture of this community.    (09)

3. Repository / Version Control / Configuration Management
Thanks for the good suggestions and the analyses on them, Scott.
Additionally, for consideration:    (010)

(a) Since we are using WebDAV servers for file sharing within the
ONTOLOG cwe, one other open source version control system folks may
consider would be SUBVERSION (http://subversion.tigris.org/). Java
developers, in particular, would appreciate some of the features it
offers. (This is something the CIM3 cwe-dev team uses too.)    (011)

(b) while we have yet to start some collaborative project(s), some of
the members on ontolog forum are from the  OASIS ebXML Registry TC
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=regrep).
While I am not up-to-date on their latest development, semantic content
management has been one of the areas they were looking into.    (012)

Regards.  -ppy    (013)

P.S. For those who would want to more fully leverage the features of our
CWE (collaborative work environment) here, try:    (014)

(i) keep one subject matter within a  discussion thread with a subject
title that would mean something (and can help you identify the topic
being discussed easily) years down the road;    (015)

(ii) set you e-mail client to use set it to send and receive mail in
plain text only for our forum address, and to wrap the text with line
length of 65 characters.    (016)

(iii) leave a blank line between paragraphs and between consecutive
points (bulleted and numbered list) in your message.    (017)

(iv) the two steps -- (ii) & (iii) -- above (at least for now, until the
tools are further enhanced) allow for the proper insertion of purple
numbers (the granular addressability feature of our cwe.    (018)

(v) when making a reference to content that is available on the wiki or
the forum archives, try using PurpleNumbers (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/wiki.pl?PurpleNumbers) instead
of just pointing people to the page URL.    (019)

-ppy
--    (020)