Re: [ontolog-forum] An ontology will have to be as easy to use as Java

To: cassidy@xxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Internet Business Logic <ibl@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:44:31 -0500
Pat --

You wrote...

"But I also think that if programmers are going to be able to use ontologies to their full potential, **using** an ontology will have to become as easy as using an object-oriented programming language like Java. "

I would respectfully disagree -- IMHO, using an ontology will have to become much easier than programming in Java.

That's because working with industrial strength ontologies is itself a highly complex business, so the supporting tools have to be highly declarative, rather than procedural as in Java.

As you know, we have an online tool* that addresses executable, declarative specification of ontologies, written as rules in open vocabulary English.

A concrete example in support of the above argument is

      http://www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/RDFQueryLangComparison1.agent

Even if one could program that in Java, it would be near impossible for a person to understand the reasoning that is done, via reification and so forth.  So, the explanation capabilities that come with using English rules are important too.

Just some thoughts....                        Cheers,  -- Adrian

*Internet Business Logic  --  online at www.reengineeringllc.com

Reengineering LLC,  PO Box 1412,  Bristol,  CT 06011-1412,  USA

Phone 860 583 9677     Mobile 860 830 2085     Fax 860 314 1029