Re: [ontolog-forum] Musen's presentation & relations with "good" softw

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Adam Pease <adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:30:07 -0800
Nicolas,
   I'm inclined to think that software engineering has considerable
relevance to ontology development.  When I had a team of ontologist working
on SUMO and its domain ontologies and tools, we used some of the same
processes as I had in place with the Java developers in my
group.  Individual developers had "ownership" of their files.  Other
developers could request changes, but weren't allowed to modify directly
files they didn't own.  Everyone was required to check in their ontology
files to CVS on a weekly basis, where other developers could then inspect
the changes using the diff feature under CVS.  Files that were checked in
at least had to "compile" or be syntactically correct.  Periodically, we'd
run our theorem prover over all the files to ensure that there weren't any
mutual contradictions.  That could be seen as analogous to running an
automated test suite on procedural code.
   There are other things that I would like to have tool support for.  It
would be nice to have an automatic alert at editing time of changes that
would impact others.  It would be nice to have all dependent hierarchies
update automatically when a term is renamed.
   I also worked on developing a system, for which we didn't have funding
to go beyond prototype stage, that would have automatically notified
members of an ontology team when there were conflicts, and then supported
an automated workflow process for voting and approval of changes.    (01)

Adam    (02)