Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology mapping & "theorems for free"

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Adam Pease <adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:58:29 -0800
Nicolas,
   One footnote I should mention to be more precise - when I mention
proving the consistency of logical theories, I'm only talking about
exploring the space of possible inconsistencies, since one can't guarantee
the consistency of an arbitrary first order theory, one can only perform an
incomplete search for inconsistencies.   However one can I think have
reasonable confidence about the absence of an inconsistency affecting
practical inference for a given theory, given a modern theorem prover and
sufficient computing resources.    (01)

Adam    (02)