Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology mapping & "theorems for free"

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Adam Pease <adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 10:54:35 -0800
Nicolas,
   Proving the consistency of an ontology, or portion of an ontology is
both an essential step in the process of formal ontology development, and a
selling point for formal ontology itself.  Most OWL ontologies have very
limited formal content that allows for automated checking, such as
class-subclass, argument typing and cardinality.  A formal ontology with
rules allows for a more complete definition of terms, and therefore
supplies more content that can be checked automatically with a theorem prover.    (01)

Adam    (02)