[ontolog-forum] Return on investment building ontologies

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Per Myrseth <per.myrseth@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:06:15 +0100

Hi    (01)

Research usually needs funding, questions of funding often needs good
arguments regarding return on investment.
I wondered if someone may help me pointing to articles showing or
indicating return on investment building
ontologies and information infrastructures in e.g. the society, public
sector, groups of cooperating companies or within an enterprise.    (02)

I have done a literature search on the web, in ACM digital library and
bookstores, but so far the result has not been very positive.
The best hits are more of general discussions and recommendations regarding
economics of software developement
and IT governance and not related to establishing semantic interoperability
and building information infrastructures.    (03)

During the last 4 years I have been working with the Norwegian government
to establish a repository containing
information models and also a transformations routine from model to
XML-schema representation.
These models have been in use for some time now, but have started a project
improving our modeling
tools and methodology. This next phase of the project needs further funding
and commitment from a larger number of departments
and I'm searching for good arguments from people working within the same
field.    (04)

Looking forward to hear from you.
Per Myrseth
Address: IBM, Rosenholmvn. 25, N-1411 Kolbotn, NORWAY
Cell.: +47 99524768, Fax: +47 66999333
E-mail: per.myrseth@xxxxxxxxxx    (05)