[ontolog-forum] Knowledge Entry via SHAKEN

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Brian (Bo) Newman" <bo.newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 10:02:13 -0400
To the members of Ontolog,

Is there anyone within the group that has first-hand knowledge of the work done under  DARPA?s Rapid Knowledge Formation (RKF) project, specifically the work done by Peter Clark ( Knowledge Systems M&CT, Boeing), et al, starting with the development of SHAKEN (see link below), through which he and his colleagues claim to have developed a way for SME to capture axiomatic knowledge through a graphical interface -- a method which they claim overcomes the need for the SME to be proficient with first order logic.

Given the problems we (Ontolog) have encountered relating to the skill sets needed to develop axiomatic ontologies, if valid and workable, this might be a way for mitigating the problem.  At minimum, I believe it is worth a short discussion.

I look forward to hearing of your experiences, and/or insights.

Brian (Bo) Newman
Exec Director, The KMForum
Sr Analyst, TECHi2

Clark, P., Thompson, J., Barker, K., Porter, B., Chaudhri, V., Rodriguez, A., Thomr, J., Gil, Y. and Hayes, P. Knowledge Entry as the Graphical Assembly of Components: The SHAKEN System, K-CAP?01, October 22-23, 2001, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada,. 2001.

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kbarker/papers/kcap01-graph.pdf