[ontolog-forum] [Fwd: [ubl] Fwd: Denmark Becomes First Country to Adopt

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:48:02 -0800
Fyi ...   -ppy    (01)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [ubl] Fwd: Denmark Becomes First Country to Adopt OASIS
Universal Business Language
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:26:56 -0800 (PST)
From: jon.bosak@xxxxxxx
To: ubl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ubl-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    (02)

From: "Carol Geyer" <carol.geyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ebxml-mktg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
         <ebxml-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:11:19 -0600    (03)

Denmark Becomes First Country to Adopt OASIS Universal Business Language    (04)

Copenhagen, Denmark; 26 January 2004--The Danish National XML
Committee announced today that it has formally adopted  an early
version of the OASIS Universal Business Language (UBL) as a standard
for e-Commerce in the public sector. Following a 30-day public
hearing, the Danish XML Committee decided to use UBL 0.7 to enable
integration between systems controlled by state authorities and a
newly implemented portal for public procurement.    (05)

UBL provides an XML library of common business data components
together with a set of standard business documents such as purchase
orders and invoices that are assembled from the component library. UBL
is the product of an international technical committee of the
Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards
(OASIS), a non-profit consortium dedicated to the creation of XML
standards. Currently at version 1.0 Beta, UBL is produced in an open,
publicly visible process and is made available without royalties or
other fees.    (06)

The Public Procurement Portal - www.doip.dk - is an electronic market
place to which both private and public purchasers and their suppliers
have access, and whose functionality, interface, security and
transaction costs are regulated by the public sector. It is the first
public procurement portal in Europe. The establishment of the Public
Procurement Portal is an important part of the strategy to make
procurement efficient and is implemented on the basis of the wish to
create a common infrastructure for the trade between the public units
and the suppliers.    (07)

With a public sector procurement of goods and services for
approximately DKK 100 billion per year, even modest improvements in
efficiency will be of great value for Danish society. By virtue of the
public sector's purchasing volume, increased use of e-commerce will
furthermore contribute to the penetration of e-commerce in Denmark in
general. The suppliers will get accustomed to e-commerce and an
infrastructure will be established. Particularly favourable
arrangements have been made to secure access by small suppliers.    (08)

"A royalty free standard with strong and broad vendor support is a key
enabler for the development of both e-Business and e-Government. We
are pleased to be a part of the OASIS UBL initiative," said Michael
Bang Kjeldgaard of the Danish National IT and Telecom Agency, chair of
the Danish XML Committee. "We have learned valuable lessons from the
work being carried out in the OASIS UBL Technical Committee. Not only
does UBL deliver a royalty free standard for electronic commerce, but
the 'Naming and Design Rules,' that dictate how UBL is expressed in
XML Schema, have inspired us in the development of other XML
vocabularies."    (09)

"The availability of UBL has greatly reduced the costs associated with
developing an XML-interface between State institutions and our
procurement gateway," says Soren Bauer of the Agency for Governmental
Management. "The OASIS UBL Technical Committee has been very
responsive to our proposals for enhancement, and we are excited to be
among the first to implement UBL. The UBL initiative is a major
breakthrough and provides a huge potential for future integration
efforts. We congratulate OASIS on a job well done."    (010)

Jon Bosak of Sun Microsystems, chair of the OASIS UBL Technical
Committee and organizer of the working group that created XML agrees:
"In adopting UBL, Denmark takes the lead in establishing an open,
non-proprietary e-commerce environment equally suitable for both
governments and small businesses. UBL's vendor-neutral development
process and free licensing makes it a natural choice for government
procurement, and I believe that this announcement will jump start UBL
adoption by governments across Europe."    (011)

For further information
. Mr Soren Bauer, project manager of the Public Procurement Portal
pro-ject, scb@xxxxxx + 45 2224 6143
. Mr. Jon Bosak, chair of the OASIS UBL Technical Committee,
jon.bosak@xxxxxxx
. Mr. Michael Kjeldgaard, chair of the Danish National XML Committee,
mbk@xxxxxxxx Telephone +45 3337 9115
. OASIS UBL Technical Committee, http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl    (012)

To unsubscribe from this mailing list (and be removed from the roster
of the OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ubl/members/leave_workgroup.php.    (013)