[ontolog-forum] Wordnet Representations - XSD/RDF/OWL

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Michael Daconta" <mdaconta@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:57:33 -0700
Hi Everyone,    (01)

Note: for those also subscribed to rdf-interest, I apologize for the
cross-post.    (02)

As part of a taxonomy framework, we will be linking taxonomies lexically
by requiring each term to be mapped to a WordNet synonym or synset.    (03)

As a start, I created an XSD schema and instance that follows the
striped syntax and is thus also parseable as RDF.    (04)

Here is a partial sample instance:    (05)

<wn:Word xmlns:rdf='http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#'
xmlns:wn='http://www.daconta.net/wn#' rdf:ID='dog'
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.daconta.net/wn# Word.xsd" >
             <wn:partsOfSpeech rdf:parseType='Collection'>
                <wn:PartOfSpeech wn:type='verb'>
                   <wn:concepts rdf:parseType='Collection'>
                         <wn:Concept rdf:ID='_1943890'>
                            <wn:definition>go after with the intent to
catch; &quot;The policeman chased the mugger down the alley&quot;;
&quot;the dog chased the rabbit&quot;</wn:definition>
                              <wn:relations  rdf:parseType='Collection'>
                                     <wn:Relation wn:type='hypernym'
wn:tgt='_1942900'/>                              ...
                                     <wn:Relation wn:type='hyponym'
wn:tgt='_1946245'/>
                              </wn:relations>
                               <wn:synonyms rdf:parseType='Collection'>
                                     <wn:Synonym wn:lemma='chase_after'/>
                                     <wn:Synonym wn:lemma='give_chase'/>
                          </wn:synonyms>
                           </wn:Concept>
              </wn:concepts>
             </wn:PartOfSpeech> …    (06)

If you are interested in playing around with this, there is a schema,
test program and simple web service at
http://www.daconta.net/project_folder/WordnetMetamodel.html .    (07)

I have two questions for this group …    (08)

1. Would it be better to leave this as RDF or create an OWL ontology for
the Wordnet metamodel.    (09)

2. How would you handle wordnet addressing?  In other words, a link from
a Topic to a Wordnet Concept (aka synset) or
Synonym.  Another aspect of this would be how closely wordnet relations,
map to XTM associations and OWL relations.    (010)

Thanks for any feedback,    (011)

  - Mike