[ontolog-forum] membership; using OASIS rules, etc

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: jamie.clark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: James Bryce Clark <jbc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:21:12 -0800
     I see that my profile on the [ontolog-forum] list has not been updated
for a year or so.  I am happy to see that the discussion is progressing,
and understand that the group's face-to-face co-located with the OASIS UBL
TC was successful.
     I have a couple of comments:
     1.  As a longtime subscriber I'm happy to continue to have access to
the resource, and wish the work well.  However, my profile
(http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/membership/MemberRecords.html#ClarkJam)
should be updated and I see no mechanism for doing so.  Please advise --
happy to self-help, if there is a method -- or take this as sufficient
notice that I now am the manager of technical standards development for
OASIS.  In that role I am more a referee than combatant, so to speak, in
certain e-business standards, but I am happy to remain on this list as an
observer (as defined in
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum//ontolog-forum/2003-03/msg00123.html).
     2.  I note that the group has informally used some part of OASIS
rules.  Please note that those rules do change, and we don't monitor their
use by anyone else.  So there is no connection or assurance that they work
for, or are being followed by, anyone other than OASIS TCs.
     3.  OASIS does take some steps under its rules to assure and monitor
the fairness, transparency and certain other characteristics of our
official work, under our own technical committees such as UBL.  This
requires that we maintain some clear distinction between UBL work (for
example) and any other off-line or informal activities that may or may not
have similar assurances.  Thus, for example, any work that might be brought
over as a possible input into an OASIS TC will be subject to our rules,
which impose some significant filters of their own.
     This is not to discourage private or separate tracks of discussion --
there's enough room in our field for everyone -- but only to make the
necessary point that not all of them are subject to the same constraints,
IP filters and protections.
     Happy new year and best regards   Jamie Clark    (01)

~   James Bryce Clark
~   Manager Tech Stds Dev, OASIS
~   +1 978 667 5115 x 203 central office
~   +1 310 293 6739 direct     (02)