Re: [ontolog-forum] Dealing with Mathematical Relations in Web-Ontologie

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Michael Daconta" <mdaconta@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:03:45 -0700
Hi Everyone,    (01)

This is a very interesting paper. Several points I find relevant
to our discussion of the suitability of KIF versus OWL for
modeling the UBL domain.    (02)

The paper states:

Based on the above standpoint, we have assigned a set of
canonical units to each of the dimensions that appears in the
ontology. In order to facilitate unit analysis over a dimension,
a base unit is selected for each dimension.
<<<    (03)

So, while the authors modeled functions to a finer-level of
granularity, in the end they still settled on a set of terminal
symbols for units of measure.  It is just that their set of terminals
is at a lower-level than say "meters" or "feet".  However, the technique
is the same and the choice of terminals seems based on the target
audience of the model.  Thus, the necessity of this feature in a
representation language is only relevant if the target audience needs it.    (04)

I don't believe a "business ontology" needs to express its concepts
as mathematical relations.  I do not say this to re-open a can of worms.
Just to make plain that the "reuse of SUMO" is a distinct issue from
"We need axioms to model UBL".  SUMO is much broader than UBL. And while
I recommend the first (reusing SUMO) it is not because UBL needs it but
more to explore First-Order Logic more fully.    (05)

Thoughts?    (06)

  - Mike    (07)

Leo Obrst wrote:    (08)