Re: [ontolog-forum] UBL Memo #1 - Invoice ontology and SUMO

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Cassidy <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 21:39:57 -0400
I think that the general answer to the questions asked (below) is that
an ontology consists of defined concepts whose structure and behavior
reflects the structure and behavior of instances in the domain of
interest, usually in the real world.  As a consequence, for each
object in the real world that has a different structure (different
in some way significant to the ontologist or his/her manager),
there should be a different concept in the ontology.
   For convenience the concepts are ordered in a hierarchy of classes
in which the subclasses inherit properties from the higher
classes.    (01)

    If it is possible to have an "invoice" that is not in response to
an "order", then that "invoice" concept would have to be different
from the one specified in the UBL UML "Invoice" diagram, as that
diagram indicates that an invoice references exactly one "Order".    (02)

    Perhaps one would want to create a higher-level concept,
say "GeneralizedInvoice", of which the "Invoice" of UBL is one
subtype (specialization).  It would be greatly helpful in
bringing up such questions if one could find specific examples
of the things one wants to see represented -- in this case
invoices.  If one is not available in electronic form, perhaps
one could get a hard copy and scan it and send the image to
this group.  That would help discussion.
    Since we are right now concerned with representing invoices
that are a request for payment in response to an order, we
should probably concentrate on that meaning of "Invoice" until
concrete specific examples of exceptions have been identified and
their details presented so that we can decide precisely how they
relate to this UBL "Invoice" concept.    (03)

     Pat    (04)

=====================    (05)

McHugh, Bob - MWT wrote:
> I, too, am very new to SUMO, ontology, and so forth, so maybe I am not
> stating things correctly in onological terms, but I do have some concerns
> about how the concept of Invoice as it relates to logistics would be
> represented in SUMO...
>
> 1.1  Invoice Characteristics
>
> Invoice in a logistics context can refer to qualitatively quite different
> types of invoices:
>
> Trade invoice (materials, components, products)
> Freight invoice (transportation services)
> Services invoice (nontransportation services)
> Combined invoice (trade and freight and services invoice)
>
> The first three types of invoices can have considerably different elements
> (the fourth type is a superset of the first three types).  I am unclear as
> to whether SUMO would define Invoice as containing all of these various
> elements, or define the four types of invoices separately (Trade Invoice,
> Freight Invoice, Services Invoice, Combined Invoice)...
>
> 1.2  Invoice Initiation
>
> There are Trade Invoice situations, like vendor managed inventory (VMI),
> where no purchase order, sales order or transfer order is created or placed
> in the conventional sense.  A Trade Invoice could be initiated by a change
> in ownership with no intrafacility movement, a change in ownership with
> intrafacility movement, a change in ownership with interfacility movement, a
> change in ownership caused by material use, and so forth.  I am not sure
> that limiting a Trade Invoice to be a response to an order would be
> practical...
>
> 1.3  Invoice Content
>
> An Invoice without detail information (for example, line items in a Trade
> Invoice, lading items and accessorial services in a Freight Invoice,
> activities and rates in a Services Invoice) could cause a number of
> potential problems.  A failure to explicitly state detail information can be
> interpreted in different ways by different trading partners in the global
> supply chain (for example, split shipment versus short shipment versus
> nonshipment situations in a Trade Invoice).  Researching discrepancies
> without detail information is virtually impossible (invoice did not match
> originating document, invoice matched but matched out of tolerance, invoice
> matched and matched within tolerance but varied on detail
> quantities/amounts, and so forth).  Invoice amounts may vary qualitatively
> for different trading partners depending on whether the amounts are pass
> through amounts or margined amounts (and these amounts could be mixed in one
> document).  Some trading partners in the global supply chain may only have
> available to them the contents of the invoice, without any of the
> corresponding originating document information.  Some countries require for
> import and export purposes that all invoice documents contain detail
> information.  Generally the point would be that trying to define situations
> [...]

Patrick Cassidy    (07)

MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer)
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054        || (908) 668-5904 (fax)    (08)

internet:   cassidy@xxxxxxxxx