Re: [ontolog-forum] Tools for the UBL Ontology Project

To: Leo Obrst <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <duane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 16:36:25 -0800
PLease post to group.  I have signed up but currently do not have post
access.    (01)

Thanks - comments inline.    (02)

Leo Obrst wrote:    (03)

>>>One issue of course is that if you define a property for a class, will an
>>>ebXML registry enable inheritance of that property down the subclass graph?
>>>
>>If the information has been entered in the classification scheme
>>instance or the associations, then yes.
>

> I wonder how this would work under ebXML, since it would really require some
> knowledge and interpretation of the semantics of the taxonomic relation.

In ebXML,  there is no "pre-set" classification scheme.  It is all user
defined.  Persons who assume the roles as set forth in ISO11179 (eg -
Data Steward, Registry Authority, ...) can be given permissions to enter
their own classification scheme values that convey the semantics they
wish to present to other users.    (04)

This keeps the ebXML Registry fairly flexible in terms of what it can do.    (05)

> And I
> thought that the ebXML registry was agnostic as to that. Of course, the
>REGISTER
> could expand/ "serialize"/enumerate or "extensionalize" ala a relational
>database
> all the possibilities him/herself (or equivalently, axiomatize in a list, as I
> mentioned before), i.e., something like:
>
> class(a)
> property(x)
> property(y)
> has_property(a, x)
> has_property(a, y)
> class(b)
> property(z)
> has_property(b, z)
> subclass(b, a)
> *has_property(b, x)
> *has_property(b, y),
> class(c)
> property(w)
> has_property(b, w)
> subclass(c, b)
> *has_property(c, x)
> *has_property(c, y),
> *has_property(c, z),
> has_property(c, w)

All of these would probably best be placed into the registry artifacts
themselves or placed into another artifact that can then be associated
with the artifact it refers to.  Farrukh - please correct me if I am wrong.    (06)

> where the * properties are explicit enumerations of properties inherited from
>an
> ancestor, but could be derived via an interpreter that knew the semantics of
> transitivity defined on the subclass relation. This issue of course will come
>up in
> spades when "rules" or implications are entered. In fact, the above has an
> equivalent axiomization using "rules".

Inheritance and polymorphysm are not specifically within the
requirements of an ebXML registry information model.    (07)

Hope this helps.    (08)

Duane Nickull    (09)

--
VP Strategic Relations,