Re: [ontolog-forum] Tools for the UBL Ontology Project

To: Leo Obrst <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <duane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 13:15:54 -0800
Lee - Comments inline.  Please post to the list for me.    (01)

Leo Obrst wrote:
> Unfortunately, an ontology will not only be a taxonomy or set of taxonomies.
> So the question I think still stands: can an ebXML Registry handle a graph
> structure, i.e., a network? On the one hand, an ontology can be considered a
> collection of assertions (axioms) and be represented as a list. But implicitly
> or explicitly, it is a graph with multiple inheritance as opposed to a
> taxonomy with single inheritance, which is a tree.

The ebXML registry is a mechanism that can offer publishing and
discovery of artifacts.  Therefore,  by itself, it does not convey
anything than user-defined assertions and declarations.  It is the
Registry Objects themselves that convey the assertions/declarations.
The answer therefore, is yes.    (02)

We (the architects) decided that cleanly separating the mechanical
functionality from the artifacts themselves was the best model to follow.    (03)

A Regisstry Object could assert it was derived from multiple
inheritance.  This can also be reflected in the classification schemata
and/or association mechanism.

> One issue of course is that if you define a property for a class, will an
> ebXML registry enable inheritance of that property down the subclass graph?

If the information has been entered in the classification scheme
instance or the associations, then yes.    (04)

> An ontology is both the vocabulary plus the meaning of that vocabulary in
> machine-interpretable form. Really therefore, it is a logical/conceptual model
> on steroids.
>
> Now, if the ontology or ontologies are created in another tool (which can
> handle the above) and then entered into an ebXML registry, then what services
> can we expect from the registry?
The registry does not care what the content is.  Its' function is scoped
to accepting artifacts for publishing via the RegistryObjectManager()
interface and facilitating subsequent discovery of them via the
RegistryObejctQueryManager() interface.    (05)

How the ebXML Architecture handles this is via a set of specially
designed artifacts.  Core Components are artifacts that represent real
world concepts.  These data elements may "bless" refinements based on
certain contextual circumstances, in which case they become Business
Information Entities(BIE's).  BIE's may be semantically equivalent to
other data elements defined in other taxonomies.  This equivalency
assertion can be declared within the BIE data model itself (also in a
rudimentry way via the Registry).    (06)

The registry can also facilitate a discovery from the highest level of a
company (the trading partner profile), down to more granular levels (
business processes supported, documents required for each process,
elements used on each document etc.)    (07)

Additionally,  registries may contain processing artifacts to allow
application processing of other artifacts.    (08)

For more information,  I would recomment reading the ebXML v1.04
Technical Architecture (http://www.ebxml.org).    (09)

I hope this helps.    (010)

Duane Nickull    (011)

--