Re: [ontolog-admin] Emerging Ontology Work Product Showcase mini-series

To: "[ontolog-admin] forum" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 19:26:25 -0700
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 12:15 PM
Subject: Emerging Ontology Work Product Showcase mini-series
To: Nigel Collier <collier@xxxxxxxxx>, Son Doan <doan@xxxxxxxxx>, Mike
Bergman <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Frederick Giasson <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Sven Van Poucke <svenvanpoucke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alexander Garcia
<cagarcia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, martin.hepp@xxxxxxxx, John Graybeal
<graybeal@xxxxxxxxx>, Luis Bermudez <bermudez@xxxxxxxx>, Carlos Rueda
<carueda@xxxxxxxxx>, Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Cassidy, Patrick J." <cassidy@xxxxxxxxx>,
Cc: Ken Baclawski <kenb@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-admin] forum"
<ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>    (01)

Dear Nigel/Doan, Mike/Fred, Sven/Alex, John/Luis/Carlos, Mike & Pat,    (02)

At our Ontolog community operations review and planning session on Thu
2008.08.21, a decision was taken to host a mini-series (at upcoming
regular Thursday event slots) that will feature emerging ontology work
products. The initial shortlist of the work we could feature include
the wonderful work that each of you are doing (or have just released.)
You are hereby invited to present your work in this upcoming
mini-series, which KenBaclawski and MikeBennett have graciously agreed
to co-champion. See:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_08_21#nid1KSN    (03)

Some initial thoughts discussed include:    (04)

* showcasing 2 items per session, on a 3~5 consecutive-week mini-series
* each presenter gets ~30 minutes to showcase their work, a 15 min Q&A
(on their specific product) and leaving at least 15 minutes at the end
for overall questions and comments
* first session to start Thu 2008.09.18 or 2008.09.25
* we want to encourage discussion on [ontolog-forum] on the various
works *before* and *after* the virtual sessions (something we have not
done very well previously)
* to feature a closing session to bring all presenters back and have
an open discussion to synthesize and distill learning and insights
gained from the series
* we need to finish this on/before Thu 2008.10.16 so that people don't
run into schedule conflicts with their attendance at ISWC-2008 &
FOIS-2008    (05)

Some immediate actions I can think of for everyone here:    (06)

0. please confirm your acceptance of this invitation and advise your
preferred date(s) (provide a coupel if you can) - we are talking about
Thursdays, 2-Hr sessions starting at 10:30 AM PDT / 1:30 PM EDT / 6:30
PM BST / 7:30pm CEST / 17:30 UTC (adjust for daylight saving time
where appropriate).    (07)

1. Suggest who else (work / author)  would be good candidates for this
series  -- attn: ALL    (08)

2. we need to do a "planning session" with all the presenters in the
series. I'll tentatively schedule this for Thu 2008.09.04. Please mark
you calendar and try best to attend. If you can, do come to our next
Thu 2008.08.28 conference call where we will continue to do event
planning, where, I'm sure this series will also be discussed. RSVP.    (09)

3. Other thoughts, comments, insights ... welcome! (as always, be sure
you are willing to contribute, if you are proposing something that
takes resources, though.)    (010)

... over to you guys, KenB & MikeB!    (011)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy