[ontolog-admin] Membership categories [was - Re: conf call today - Ontol

To: "Francis Fung" <ffung@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-admin] forum" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:53:22 -0800
Hi Francis,    (01)

We actually have 3 membership classes now - Active Members, Members
and Observers.    (02)

The general delineation between any of the above 3 classes of members
from non-members is that they are subscribed to the [ontolog-forum]
mailing list ... although anyone can still have a choice of picking a
"mail" (to inbox, this is the default), "digest" or "no mail" delivery
mode), but subscription allows them to post to the forum. While
non-subscribers still have access to our open message archives and see
what's being discussed, they will not be able to post (i.e. they can't
join in the 'conversation').    (03)

All 3 classes of members are subscribed to [ontolog-invitation], our
"announcment list" too (along with others who have participated in our
events previously, or those who requested to be posted of our events.)    (04)

Now to answer your question, 'observers' have no voting rights (all
together). Members, if they are deemed to be 'active' (as determined
over a set of a criteria as documented in the OASIS process which we
follow), may vote on community issues ... when it really counts. That
said, in the 5 years we have been around, we actually have never had
to resort to 'counting votes' to decide on anything. All motions
(actually only a handful, so far) were passed by general consensus.    (05)

Hope that's clear enough.    (06)

Best regards.  =ppy