Re: [ontolog-admin] "Database & Ontology" Thu 2006.11.16 Event Preparati

To: <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 11:35:49 -0000
Dear Peter,    (01)

>From Ontology to Data Model: Choices and Design Decisions    (02)

An ontology describes the types of things that exist, and rules
that govern them, a data model defines records about things,
and is the basis for a database design. Not all the information
in an ontology may be needed (or can even be held) in a data model
and there are a number of choices that need to be made. For example,
some of the ontology may be held as reference data instead of as
entity types. This talk will explore these choices, with illustrations
from the ISO 15926-2 data model.    (03)

Regards    (04)

Matthew    (05)

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpeakerSessionTips)