[ontolog-admin] Ontolog Speaker Invitation - Pat Hayes - Thu 2006.10.26

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Chris Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-admin]" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:58:40 -0700
Dear Dr. Hayes,    (01)

Further to our recent e-mail exchange, I would like to thank you,
on behalf of the community, for accepting our invitation to speak
at the Ontolog-Forum on Thursday, 26th October, 2006. As you may
already be aware, the Ontolog community engages in the learning,
discourse and development of ontologies, and are are trying to
advance the adoption and application of ontological engineering
approaches and semantic technologies (see our charter at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidB ).
Given your vision, experience and insight, your giving us a talk
on "First-order logic brought up to date" will definitely be of
great interest and benefit to our community. I am writing here,
to provide further details and some administrivia on the event.    (02)

This session will be a 1.5 to 2 hour virtual event, scheduled to
start at 18:30 UTC / 10:30am PST / 1:30pm EST.  Depending on the
number of participants, the session will probably start with
about 10~15 minutes for self-introductions by participants and
for getting everyone settled in (we would usually skip the
self-introduction part if there are more than 20 attendees). e
have invited Professor Christopher Menzel to formally introduce
you; after which, your virtual presentation (of  approximately
45~60 minutes) will follow. After which, there will be an open
discussion for about 30 minutes.  The session will be held over a
phone conference, augmented by online presentation material.    (03)

I need from you (say, on/before 15-Oct-2006):    (04)

(a) the title for your talk, [already received]    (05)

(b) an abstract on your talk, [already received]    (06)

(c) a recent picture of yours, and    (07)

(d) a short biographic sketch of yourself.    (08)

Upon receipt of the above, I will build out the session wiki page
and announce the event, so that people could mark their calendars
and plan to attend.    (09)

Closer to the time (say, 4~7 days before your talk, although this
is not a hard deadline), please send me:    (010)

(e) your presentation material* (in pdf, powerpoint, sxi, html,
png, jpg or some common electronic format) so that I can post it
online for access during the session.    (011)

During the talk, you will need to prompt the audience to advance
the slides (and call out the slide number, every time you change
slides). I will be in control of a shared-screen server (a VNC
server) and will advance the slides for you. If you need to run
another applications (say, a web browser or some demo
application) and share the screen, please provide me with more
details because we may need some prior coordination to make it
happen. The display screen from the VNC server will be shared by
most of the virtual attendees during the event (although
participants who are behind tight corporate firewalls may have to
download your slides and run them on their own desktop.)    (012)

For the best experience to all, you are requested to get familiar
with the hints for virtual sessions like this at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpeakerSessionTips    (013)

For your reference, please take a look at the wiki session pages
of similar recent presentations, which you can access under
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ (for
example, Dr. Christopher Menzel's session at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2004_11_04
and possibly a more recent one). They should provide some clues
as to the format of our monthly invited speaker events. However,
do feel free to conduct your presentation any way you feel like
(let me know, though, if you expect it to be quite different, so
that I can work on providing the support you need.) After the
wiki page for your session has been created, you are encouraged
to post additional relevant resources (papers, links, references,
... etc.) to support your presentation.    (014)

Additionally, we will be recording our presentation sessions and
make the archived audio file available online, along with the
presentation material. May I, on behalf of the Ontolog Forum,
request your permission to do so. Please refer to our IPR policy
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32
that will be applicable. We will also encourage participants to
post any further question about your session to the
[ontolog-forum] mailing list so that so that the rest of the
community can benefit from the subsequent discourse too. I will
assume that these are acceptable to you unless I hear from you
otherwise.    (015)

Once again, thank you very much for agreeing to speak, and to
having a dialog with the rest of the Ontolog community. I shall
look forward to the event, and to to your continued contribution
to Ontolog in the future, as you have in the past. Feel free to
contact the undersigned if there is any question.    (016)

Please acknowledge this message now (so that I can be sure it did
get delivered properly.)    (017)

Sincerely,
=PPY    (018)

Peter P. Yim
Ontolog, co-convener
http://ontolog.cim3.net/wiki/
Phone: +1 (650) 578-9998    (019)

P.S. *Note that: in preparing your powerpoint (or other
presentation material), please (a) make sure you number the
slides, and (b) avoid using any animation or transitions, as they
do not work very well over the real-time shared-screen service
which we employ to allow the audience to be in sync with you on
your slide presentation.  =ppy