[ontolog-admin] Ontolog Invited Speaker - York Sure - Thu 2006.08.17

To: York Sure <sure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-admin]" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:29:56 -0700
Dear Professor Sure,    (01)

Further to our recent discussion, I would like to thank you, on
behalf of the community, for accepting our invitation to speak at
the Ontolog-Forum on Thursday, August 17, 2006. As you may
already be aware, the Ontolog community engages in the learning,
discourse and development of ontologies, and is trying to advance
the adoption and application of ontological engineering
approaches and semantic technologies (see our charter at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidB ). Your
giving us a talk about your research, as well as recent
significant ontology- and semantic-web-related work at your
organization, and over at the European Union in general, would be
of great interest to the community.    (02)

I am writing to provide further details and some administrivia on
the event:    (03)

This session will be a 1.5 to 2 hour virtual event, scheduled for
10:30am~12:30pm PDT / 1:30pm~3:30pm EDT / 7:30pm ~ 9:30pm CEST /
17:30~19:30 UTC.  Depending on the number of participants, the
session will probably start with about 10~15 minutes for
self-introductions by participants and for getting everyone
settled in. We will then formally introduce you. Your virtual
presentation (of  approximately 45~60 minutes) will then follow.
After which, there will be an open discussion for about 30
minutes.  The session will be held over a phone conference,
augmented by online presentation material.    (04)

I need from you (hopefully before the end of this month, i.e.
on/before 31-Jul-2006):    (05)

(a) the title for your talk,    (06)

(b) an abstract of your talk,    (07)

(c) a recent picture of yours, and    (08)

(d) a short biographic sketch of yourself.    (09)

Upon receipt of the above, I will build out the session wiki page
and announce the event, so that people could mark their calendars
and plan to attend.    (010)

Closer to the time (say, a week before your talk, although this
is not a hard deadline), please send me:    (011)

(e) your presentation material* (in pdf, powerpoint, sxi, html,
png, jpg or some common electronic format) so that I can post it
online for access during the session.    (012)

During the talk, you will need to prompt the audience to advance
the slides (and call out the slide number, every time you change
slides). I will be in control of a shared-screen server (a VNC
server) and will advance the slides for you. In case you need to
run other applications (say, a web browser or Protégé) and share
the screen, please provide me with more details because we may
need some prior coordination to ensure a satisfactory experience
for the real-time and asynchronous audience. The display screen
from the VNC server will be shared by most of the virtual
attendees during the event, although participants who are behind
tight corporate firewalls may have to download your slides and
run them on their own desktop.    (013)

You are also requested to take a look at the hints we have for
sessions like this at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpeakerSessionTips    (014)

For your reference, please take a look at the wiki session pages
of similar recent presentations, which you can access under
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ (for
example, Dr. Pat Cassidy's recent session at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2006_07_13).
They should provide some clues as to the format of our monthly
invited speaker events. However, do feel free to conduct your
presentation any way you feel like (let me know, though, if you
expect it to be quite different, so that I can work on providing
the support you need.) We will be creating a wiki page for your
session after we have received the above ((a) thru (d) input from
you), at which point, you are encouraged to post additional
relevant resources (papers, links, references, ... etc.) to
support your presentation.    (015)

Additionally, we will be recording our presentation sessions and
make the archived audio file available online, along with the
presentation material. May I, on behalf of the Ontolog Forum,
request your permission to do so. Please refer to our IPR policy
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32
that will be applicable. I will also subscribe you to the
[ontolog-forum] mailing list so that you will be kept abreast of
the exchanges prior to, and following your presentation. I will
assume that these are acceptable to you unless I hear from you
otherwise.    (016)

Once again, thank you very much for agreeing to speak, and to
having a dialog with the rest of the Ontolog community. I shall
look forward to the event, and to to your continued contribution
to Ontolog in the future. Feel free to contact the undersigned if
there is any question. Please acknowledge this message now (so
that I can be sure it did get delivered properly.)    (017)

Sincerely,
=PPY    (018)

Peter P. Yim
[ontolog-forum], co-convener
http://ontolog.cim3.net
Phone: +1 (650) 578-9998    (019)

P.S. *Note that: in preparing your powerpoint (or other
presentation material), please (a) make sure you number the
slides, and (b) avoid using any animation or transitions, as they
do not work very well over the real-time shared-screen service
which we employ to allow the audience to be in sync with you on
your slide presentation.  =ppy