[ontolog-admin] Ontolog Invited Speaker - Elisa Kendall - Thu 2005.09.08

To: "Elisa F. Kendall" <ekendall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-admin]" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 15:34:15 -0700
Dear Elisa,    (01)

Further to the earlier discussions at Ontolog conference calls,
and our conversation yesterday, I would like to thank you, on
behalf of the community, for accepting our invitation to speak at
the Ontolog-Forum on Thursday September 8, 2005, on a relevant
topics you feel appropriate for our membership. I am writing to
provide further details and some administrivia on the event.    (02)

This session will be a 1.5 to 2 hour virtual event. The session
will start with about 10~15 minutes for introductions and for
getting everyone settled in. Your virtual presentation of
approximately 45~60 minutes will follow. After that, there will
be an open discussion for about 30~45 minutes (or more, if
necessary, and as time permits).  This will be over a phone
conference, augmented by online presentation material. The time
of the session will be scheduled for 10:30am to 12:30pm Pacific
Daylight Time.    (03)

The [ontolog] community engages in the learning, discourse and
development of domain ontologies, is trying to advance the
adoption and application of ontological engineering approaches
and semantic technologies (see our charter at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidB ), and
is facilitating their move into the mainstream standards. Your
talking to our group and affording us a chance to have an open
dialog with you along those lines will be most appreciated.    (04)

I shall look forward to receiving the following from you, at your
earliest convenience (hopefully on/before Aug. 3):    (05)

(a) a short biographic sketch of yourself. In addition, if you
can provide (links to) slightly more extended bio/intro of you
and your work, that would be even better. It would be fine if you
just supply the URL's to the material (if something appropriate
is already available online.) Feel free to update your namesake
page on the Ontolog wiki too (at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ElisaKendall -- your
would need to do a "Create Account" first for the user
"ElisaKendall" before editing on the wiki (see upper right of
wiki page)).    (06)

(b) a recent picture of yours (about 150x150 pixels, in png, jpg
or gif format),    (07)

(c) the title of your talk, and    (08)

(d) an abstract of your talk (anywhere from a few sentences to a
couple of paragraphs will do).    (09)

Once I get the above, I will start circulating the information
among the community, so that people could mark their calendars
and plan to attend.    (010)

Closer to the time (say, by Aug. 30, although this is not a hard
deadline), please send me:    (011)

(e) your presentation material* (in powerpoint, pdf, sxi, html,
png, jpg or some common electronic format) so that I can post it
online for access during the session.    (012)

During the talk, you will be in control of a shared screen server
(a VNC server) that will allow you to run your presentation
slides, a web browser or even other applications (if you do need
to run other applications, please provide me with more details
because we may need some prior coordination to make it happen).
The display screen from the VNC server will be shared by all
virtual attendees during the event.    (013)

(f) After I receive your presentation material, we will schedule
a phone session so that I can walk you through the presentation
controls and some of the relevant nuances that our virtual
speaker(s) need to be aware of. We need to do this while you are
at the venue when you plan to be presenting from (e.g. your
office, your home, ... etc.). You are also invited to take a look
at the hints we have for sessions like this at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpeakerSessionTips    (014)

For your reference, please feel free to check out the wiki pages
of similar recent presentations, like the ones given by  Steve
Ray of NIST (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2004_02_12),
or the one by Chris Welty on OntoClean (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2004_11_18).
They should provide some clue as to the format of our monthly
invited speaker events. However, do feel free to conduct your
presentation any way you feel like (let me know, though, if you
expect it to be quite different, so that I can work on providing
the support you need.) We will be creating a wiki page for your
session after we have received the above ((a) thru (d) input from
you), at which point, you are encouraged to post additional
relevant resources (papers, links, references, ... etc.) to
support your presentation.    (015)

Additionally, we have been recording our presentation sessions
and make the archived audio file available online, along with the
presentation material. May I, on behalf of the Ontolog Forum,
request your permission to do so. Please refer to our IPR policy
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32
that will be applicable. I will assume that is acceptable to you
unless I hear from you otherwise.    (016)

Once again, thank you very much for agreeing to speak, and to
having a dialog with the community. I shall look forward to the
event, and to to your continued contribution to Ontolog in the
future. Feel free to contact the undersigned if there is any
question.    (017)

Sincerely,
=PPY    (018)

Peter P. Yim
[ontolog-forum], co-convener
http://ontolog.cim3.net
Phone: (650) 578-9998    (019)

P.S. *Please note that: in preparing your powerpoint (or other
presentation material), try to avoid using any animation or
transitions, as they do not work very well over the real-time
shared-screen platform, which we employ to allow the audience to
be in sync with you on your slide presentation.  -ppy
--     (020)