[ontolog-admin] Ontolog Invited Speaker - Michael Uschold - Thu 2005.03.

To: "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-admin] forum" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:32:00 -0800
Dear Dr. Uschold,    (01)

Further to recent exchanges, I would like to thank you for accepting our
invitation to speak at the Ontolog-Forum on Thursday March 10, 2005 on a
relevant topics you feel appropriate for members of our community. I am
writing to provide further details and some administrivia on the event.    (02)

This session will be a 1.5 to 2 hour virtual event. The session will
start with a few minutes of introductions and getting everyone settled
in. Your virtual presentation of approx. 45 min. will follow. After
that, there will be an open discussion for about 30 min.(or more, if
necessary, and as time permits).  This will be over a phone conference,
augmented by online presentation material. The time of the session will
be scheduled for 10:30pm to 12:00noon (quite possibly extending to
12:30pm) Pacific Standard Time.    (03)

The [ontolog] community engages in the learning, discourse and
development of business domain ontologies and related issues, and is
evangelizing the development and application of  ontological engineering
and semantic technologies (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?HomePage#nid06), facilitating
their move into the mainstream standards. Your talking to our group and
affording us a chance to have an open dialog with you along those lines
will be most appreciated.    (04)

I shall look forward to receiving from you, at your convenience
(hopefully on/before Feb. 10):    (05)

(a) a short biographic sketch of yourself. In addition, if you can
provide (links to) slightly more extended bio/intro of you and your
work, that would be even better. It would be fine if you just supply the
URL's to the material (if something appropriate is already available
online.)  Feel free, also, to populate your namesake page on our wiki:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MichaelUschold ,    (06)

(b) a recent picture of yours (about 150x150 pixels, in png, jpg or gif
format),    (07)

(c) a title of your talk, and    (08)

(d) an abstract of your talk (anywhere from a few sentences to a couple
of paragraphs will do).    (09)

Once I get the above, I will start circulating the information among the
community, so that people could mark their calendars and plan to attend.    (010)

Closer to the time (say, a week before the talk, although this is not a
hard deadline), please send me your presentation material* (in
powerpoint, pdf, sxi, html, or some common electronic format) so that I
can post it online for access during the session. During the talk, you
will be in control of a shared screen server (a VNC server) that will
allow you to run your presentation slides, a web browser or even other
applications (if you do, please provide me with more details because we
may need some prior coordination to make it happen). The display screen
from the VNC server will be shared by all virtual attendees during the
event.    (011)

For your reference, please feel free to check out the wiki pages of
similar recent presentations, like the ones given by  Steve Ray of NIST
(see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2004_02_12), or
the one by Chris Welty on OntoClean (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2004_11_18). They
should provide some clue as to the format of our monthly invited speaker
event. However, do feel free to conduct your presentation any way you
feel like (let me know, though, if you expect it to be quite different,
so that I can work on providing the support you need.). We will be
creating a wiki page for your session after we have received the above
((a) thru (d) input from you), at which point, you are encouraged to
post additional relevant resources (links, references, ... etc.) to
support your presentation.    (012)

Additionally, we have been recording (some, so far, since this is still
a volunteer effort; but the intent is to do it for all) our presentation
sessions and make the archived audio file available online, along with
the presentation material. May I, on behalf of the Ontolog Forum,
request your permission to do so. Please refer to our IPR policy at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl#nid036 that will be applicable.
I will assume that is acceptable to you unless I hear from you otherwise.    (013)

Once again, thank you very much for agreeing to speak, and to having a
dialog with our community. I shall look forward to the event, and to
collaborating with you in the future. Feel free to contact the
undersigned if there is any question.    (014)

Sincerely,
PPY    (015)

Peter P. Yim
[ontolog-forum], co-convener
http://ontolog.cim3.net
Phone: (650) 578-9998    (016)

P.S. *Please note that: in preparing your powerpoint (or other
presentation material), please try to avoid using any transitions and
animation, as they do not work very well over the real-time
shared-screen platform, which we will be employing so that the audience
can be in sync with you on your slide presentation.  -ppy