[ontolog-admin] Scientific Research Backs Wisdom of Open Source - Yahoo

To: ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, cwe-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxx, mp-sofi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:34:26 -0800
Sharing a news article (if you haven't already read it) ... thought
you might find it relevant to what we are all embarking upon.    (01)

Cheers.  -ppy    (02)

<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1817&e=2&u=/nf/20031215/tc_nf/22862&sid=96120760>    (03)
Welcome, yimpp1 Personalize News Home Page   -   Sign Out
Yahoo! News   Tue, Dec 16, 2003
Search  News StoriesNews PhotosAudio/VideoFull CoverageThe New York TimesThe Web for     Advanced
News Home
Top Stories
U.S. National
Business
World
Entertainment
Sports
Technology
   Internet
   Personal Tech.
   Communications
   Software
   Enterprise
   Apple/Macintosh
Linux/Open Source
Most Popular
Tech Tuesday
Politics
Science
Health
Oddly Enough
Op/Ed
Local
Comics
News Photos
Most Popular
Weather
Audio/Video
Full Coverage
Crosswords

News Resources
Providers
· Reuters
· AP
· washingtonpost.com
· USA TODAY
· NewsFactor
· PC World
· AFP
· SiliconValley.com
· Ziff Davis
· TechWeb
· CP
News Alerts
· National Science Foundation
· Linux
Services
·Daily Emails
·Free News Alerts
 News via RSS

Technology - NewsFactor
Scientific Research Backs Wisdom of Open Source
NewsFactor
Mon Dec 15, 4:13 PM ET
Add Technology - NewsFactor to My Yahoo!

Mike Martin , science.newsfactor.com

Open-source can be faster, better and cheaper than closed corporate software development, say researchers at the University of California, Irvine (UCI) and the National Science Foundation (news - web sites).

Moore's Law and the Myth of Open-Source Savings
Foot in the Door for Open Source?
Open-Source Software Debate Reaches Ivory Towers

The Best Tech Toys
Great gifts under $100 for your gadget lover, plus high-dollar tech toys and the best computer games.

In a series of online reports UCI computer science researcher Walt Scacchi is documenting how open-source development breaks many of software engineering's formal rules, representing a new and better approach based on community building.

"This is perhaps a new fertile ground between software engineering and the world of open-source, and maybe what the open-source community can contribute to new academic and commercial development efforts," Scacchi told NewsFactor.

Software Wants to be Free

"Free and open-source software development is faster, better and cheaper in building a community and at reinforcing and institutionalizing a culture for how to develop software," said Scacchi, a senior research scientist at UC Irvine's Institute for Software Research.

"We're not ready to assert that open-source development is the be-all and end-all for software engineering practice, but there's something going on in open-source development that is different from what we see in the textbooks."

Studying open-source projects to understand when the processes and practices work and when they don't, Scacchi and his colleagues hope to help businesses understand the implications of adopting open-source methods internally or investing in external open-source communities.

Bug Influence

Scacchi joins other researchers -- Les Gasser at the University of Illinois, John Noll of Santa Clara University, and UC Irvine's Richard Taylor -- "in applying lessons learned from open-source practices to create new design, process-management and knowledge-management tools for large-scale, multi-organization development projects," said National Science Foundation (NSF) spokesperson David Hart.

Mining open-source project databases, which record hundreds of thousands of bug reports, Gasser and Scacchi are trying to understand how bug reporting relates to software quality.

"These are unprecedented data sets in software engineering research," Scacchi told NewsFactor. "We're thinking of these databases in a 'national treasure' sense. We're never going to get this from a corporate source."

When Open Sources Close Up Shop

While a small number of open-source projects, such as Linux (news - web sites), have become well known, the vast majority fail, Scacchi explained.

Understanding how successful projects, such as the Linux kernel, grow from a few individuals to thousand-developer communities is essential to open-source research.

"In many ways, open-source development projects are treasure troves of information for how large software systems get developed in the wild, if you will," Scacchi said.

Scacchi and colleagues are looking at more than a hundred open-source projects in several categories. On their list of more to explore: network games such as PlaneShift and id Software's Quake; Internet and Web infrastructure projects, such as Apache and Mozilla; and industry-sponsored open-source projects, such as NetBeans from Sun Microsystems and IBM's Eclipse.

Evolution Revolution

Informal, agile, and cheaper, open-source development provides faster software evolution. It also quickly spreads expertise through the development community, Scacchi explained.

"Open-source is not a poor version of software engineering, but a private-collective approach to large-software systems," Scacchi said.

"The software-intensive systems in today's world have become so complex that we need every available design tool at our disposal," said NSF program director Suzanne Iacono. "Open-source development has achieved some remarkable successes, and we need to learn from these successes as our systems become increasingly distributed, complex and heterogeneous."

Mail to Friend  Email Story
Message Boards   Post/Read Msgs
Printer Version   Print Story
Ratings: Would you recommend this story?
Not at all 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 Highly

Special Feature

The Best Tech Toys
Gifts and games for your gadget lover-- at any price

Prev. Story: Novell Launches Services For Enterprise Linux (Ziff Davis)
Next Story: Linux Vendors Team to Safeguard Data (Ziff Davis)

More Technology - Top Stories Stories
· Bush Signs Anti-Spam Legislation   (AP)
· New Navy Contract Trims Northrop's Profit  (washingtonpost.com)
· SUVs bear down on car sales  (USATODAY.com)
· Feds Consider Regulating VOIP  (PC World)
· Japan's NEC, Hitachi to tie up on next-generation Internet routers: report  (AFP)

Weekly SpecialsADVERTISEMENT
· Free online Mortgage Refinance Quote @ Service 1 Mortgage
· Get an MBA! It can increase your salary by 50%
· GET a DEGREE ONLINE! Fast and Free Info!
· Buy stocks for just $4. No Minimums Required.
· REFINANCE NOW & GET CASH! Secure a LOW RATE Fast!
· REGAIN FINANCIAL CONTROL! Become DEBT FREE Fast!
· SAVE up to 70% on Life Insurance! Protect YOUR family today.
· Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks - Save 80%
· Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks
· Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks - Save 80%

Tech Education
? Online Degrees in IT Management
? Browse All Technology Programs
from Yahoo! Education

Copyright © 2003 Triad Commerce Group, LLC.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback