[ontolog-admin] Re: Final Reminder -- Knowledge Representation and Onto

To: Craig Schlenoff <craig.schlenoff@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontolog-Admin Forum <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kurt Conrad <conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:03:28 -0700
At 2003-09-29 09:12 -0400, you wrote:
Those interested in participating are invited to submit either a full paper (5000 words maximum) or a 1-2 page statement of interest outlining their relevant research activities and how they would like to contribute to the symposium. Please submit papers in PDF format to Craig Schlenoff (craig.schlenoff@xxxxxxxx) by October 3, 2003.

Craig,

Thanks for speaking with me on Thursday.  Attached is the paper that we talked about.

I presents a progress report on the Ontolog Forum?s UBL Ontology project.  Our intent is to revise the document, if accepted, to meet your conference schedule and objectives.

There are a few problems/limitations with the document that we have already identified and plan to address:
  • Leo Obrst?s name is misspelled.
  • The membership list needs to be updated.
  • This report was originally prepared to for delivery to the OASIS UBL committee in April of 2003.  Hence the material is both dated and targeted a little bit too narrowly to work optimally for a general audience.
  • The tie to autonomous systems needs to be expanded upon, considerably.  At present, our thinking is focused in a couple of areas:
    • Automatic reconciliation of invoices with orders
    • Relating individual business documents to their various organizational and governmental contexts to identify and apply context-specific structural and processing requirements (e.g., tax rates, tax credits, import and export restrictions, fine-grained structures required for addresses)
  • Significant refinements are currently being made to our formalization methodology.  These should be stable enough in late October to include them in the report.
  • With the addition of new projects under the Ontolog banner (most notably an effort by Pat Cassidy to enable bidirectional import and export of SUMO-KIF files to and from Protege), the scope of the status report should be expanded.
Given that the fairly significant revisions are planned, any other suggestions and/or recommendations are warmly invited.  Also, I reviewed the Call for Papers messages that I received and could not find a final revision date.  When would you need the changes?

For the Ontolog Forum,

/s/ kwc 2003.10.03 15:03

Kurt Conrad
2994 Salem Dr.                     408-247-0454
Santa Clara, CA 95051-5502         408-247-0457 (data/fax)
http://www.SagebrushGroup.com     mailto:conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx