ontoiop-forum

Re: [ontoiop-forum] comments for RFP section 6.1

To: ontoiop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 10:57:44 -0500
On 11/6/2013 10:22 AM, Bock, Conrad wrote:
>> Please see http://www.omg.org/spec/FUML/1.1/, from p 351 on,
>> where the semantics is given in terms of CLIF.
>
> It's probably not model-theoretic, but the CLIF expressions
> in fUML must be true for traces resulting from the execution
> engine defined in the standard above.  Because of that, it
> only covers the semantics of the subset of fUML used to describe
> the execution engine, and only the particular way that subset
> is used by the execution engine.    (01)

I have not examined those traces in detail, but your description
seems to be similar to the methods for specifying operational
semantics by preconditions and postconditions.    (02)

But to make the specifications clear, it's important to be systematic:
identify the pre- and post- conditions for each step.  For example,
see the VDM method for using a declarative logic to specify the
operations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Development_Method    (03)

You don't have to use the VDM tools, but it's important to be
clear about how you use the declarative logic to specify the
conditions for each step of the procedures.    (04)

Following is the excerpt from my earlier note.    (05)

John
______________________________________________________________    (06)

There are two kinds of UML diagrams:    (07)

   1. Declarative, such as the type hierarchies and the
      E-R diagrams.    (08)

   2. Procedural, such as the activity diagrams, which are
      inspired by but not identical to Petri nets.    (09)

For the declarative diagram types, it's possible to give
a formal definition by specifying how each diagram type
is translated to CLIF.  That would define it as a dialect
for a subset of CL, and it would inherit the CL model theory.    (010)

For the procedural diagram types, the simplest way to specify
the semantics is by preconditions and postconditions.  Those
can also be specified in CLIF.    (011)