okmds-convene

[okmds-convene] Knowledge Mapping for Sensemaking: follow-up resources

To: okmds-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Simon (GMail)" <s.buckingham.shum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:10:56 +0100
Hi,

Great to 'meet' you all yesterday! In follow-up to queries about more systematic descriptions of discourse ontologies, and how to use them, below are some pointers...

I would reiterate my point that while a set of notational constraints and conventions get you so far (what we might see as the syntax/grammar of the symbol system), the pragmatics of the notation's application are particularly germane when it comes to modelling/mapping/structuring discourse, because it is so sensitive to disruption by inappropriate tools, and because there is inherently so much interpretation going on when analysing discourse. This is why some of the resources below are not ontological schemas a la semantic web (designed for consensual world machine reasoning) but natural language/multimedia descriptions illustrating their applications.

(Peter, I have managed to misplace my login to the wiki -- perhaps you can make a link from my bio to this posting, or paste it in? - Sorry!)

Regards

Simon

IBIS: Issue-Based Information System

Jeff introduced IBIS as a language for Dialogue Mapping and Issue Mapping, and I showed how it can provide a simple visual language to scaffold other modelling approaches and methdologies (eg CommonKADS) in what Al Selvin and Maarten Sierhuis called Conversational Modelling.

Compendium software, community, training and articles: http://compendiuminstitute.org
Dialogue Mapping book: http://cognexus.org/dm_book.htm
Conversational Modelling: http://jodi.tamu.edu/Articles/v01/i04/Selvin/
The Literacy of real time mapping for sensemaking: Al Selvin's research http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/selvin
and Knowledge Art blog: http://knowledgeart.blogspot.com

Scholarly Ontologies project discourse scheme

This was the work on mapping research literatures that I described, the precursor to Cohere, offering a set of connectives for linking concepts, annotated onto documents, into "claim" triples.

Coherence relations as the possible foundation for a "discourse relations upper level ontology":

Mancini, Clara and Buckingham Shum, Simon J. (2006) Modelling discourse in contested domains: A semiotic and cognitive framework. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 64 (11). pp. 1154-1171. http://oro.open.ac.uk/6441

ClaimSpotter semantic annotation document-centric interface: http://kmi.open.ac.uk/projects/hyperdiscourse/tools/claimspotter

Cohere OWL ontology

Cohere: http://cohereweb.net

(draft in progress - fuller documentation in prep)

Dr Simon J. Buckingham Shum
Senior Lecturer in Knowledge Media
Knowledge Media Institute & Computing Research Centre
The Open University, Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA, UK
T: +44 (0)1908 655723   F: +44 (0)1908 653169