okmds-convene

Re: [okmds-convene] Re-centering the discussion

To: "Ontology in Kowledge Management & Decision Support" <okmds-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Kevin Hannon" <khannon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:25:50 -0500
I am coming down in defense of technology, but for different reasons than some.

It has been my experience that most of the technological solutions work very well. And project failures are often more perception than reality.

Most often, the failures (or perceived failures) are due to issues around metadata consistency, taxonomy implementation and other design and business related issues separate from the technology itself.

Having said that, the most common cause for failures in design is due to an over-reliance on the technology. Too often, projects are completed as a technology exercise, which is a setup for failure. While we would not have such a thing as KM if it weren't for technology, that technology is simply a vehicle. How well we plan, design and implement the project are the critical success factors today and will continue to be tomorrow.

Kevin Hannon
Principal and Founder
InfoCurators, LLC
201-913-8108