okmds-convene

Re: [okmds-convene] Re-centering the discussion

To: Ontology in Kowledge Management & Decision Support <okmds-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Villano, Paul Ch CIV USA TRADOC" <paul.villano@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 07:54:50 -0500
Just one caveat with the two paragraphs I quote below.  Working with the Army
and the automation community I hear a concern with those involved in knowledge
management of the tendency to "throw technology" at a problem and thereby
confusing knowledge management itself with the technology that is used to
assess, maintain and manipulate it among people.  I just wanted to make clear
that knowledge management should not be confused with the tools used for it.    (01)

You said:    (02)

That's unfortunate. Assertions and the evaluations of those assertions can be
represented explicitly. They can be known -- expressed as structured objects.
They can be supported directly by technology, management practices, and
education of workers in semantic principles. Decisions can be traced back to
the conditions/assertions that influence those decisions.    (03)

Objects of this type and relationships among those objects can also be
visualized easily. I am aware that software applications for specifying,
visualizing, and evaluating assertions do exist. But those I have seen (like
the Compendium Institute's Compendium hypermedia tool) seem fundamentally
disconnected from goals of precise representation of the meaning in natural
language. They lack methods of formally representing assertions as objects that
can be addressed with multiple tools, or they simply don't scale well. Others
simply don't make the distinction between assertion and evaluation of
assertions at all.    (04)

Paul Villano
Knowledge Management Officer
US Army Chaplain Center and School (USACHCS)
"Pro Deo et Patria!...For God and Country!"    (05)