iaoa-swao

[iaoa-swao] ISWC 2014 Workshop proposal: PC members: thoughts and potent

To: IAOA SemanticWeb-AppliedOntology SIG <iaoa-swao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2014 20:03:33 +0000

Folks,

We probably need to figure out who additionally we should invite to the PC. I’m assuming that the chairs and PC chairs will participate on the PC -- with the PC chairs overseeing the adjudication of the paper review process; we can probably add 1 person to the PC chairs if the current PC chairs think that’s advisable.

So I am expecting that the following core folks in the SWAO SIG are on the PC (however, not all are yet confirmed):

Mike Bennett    UK

Stefano Borgo   Italy

Mike Dean         USA

Elie Abi-Lahoud Ireland

Andrea R. Westerinen   USA

Frank Loebe       Germany

Leo J. Obrst        USA

Gary Berg-Cross USA

Nancy Wiegand USA

Naicong Li          USA

Ken Baclawski   USA

Todd Schneider USA

With the above folks (12) and the currently-accepted invitees (7), that is 19 total on the PC. Which in itself might be sufficient. If any of the original invitees who haven’t responded yet do respond, then we will have more (i.e., up to 6 more).

However, my next short list of potential invitees are the following:

Alan Rector        UK

Francesca Quattri           Hong Kong

Leora Morgenstern        USA

Deborah L. McGuinness              USA

Heiner Stuckenschmidt Germany

Christoph Lange              Germany

The above list gives us better distribution across countries and includes more women (I would still like someone from Brazil, Italy, etc.)

I am not sure how many papers we can reasonably expect on our topics, but I am hopeful that we might get 10-15 papers submitted. With 3 reviewers each, that means that probably every PC member will have at most 2 papers to review. Which I think is reasonable and not too burdensome.

We can use EasyChair, which makes much of this very easy. I’d suggest that the PC chairs, but also the Workshop chairs, get familiar with EasyChair. Nearly every conference or workshop these days uses EasyChair, a conference management software tool. Even requests for PC members are automated using EasyChair, though we have not used it to this point.

Also, we need to begin to think about who might be a good invited speaker(s). Perhaps someone from Applied Ontology and someone from Semantic Web? E.g., Nicola Guarino and Jim Hendler? (I know the combination may be volatile! ;). Probably both will be present at ISWC 2014, and so we might minimize the cost to bring them to the Workshop.

What do people think?

Thanks,

Leo

Msg Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/iaoa-swao/
File-share: http://iaoa.cim3.net/file/work/SIG/SemanticWeb-AppliedOntology/
SIG Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IAOA_SWAO_SIG
Activities Blog: http://iaoa-activities.blogspot.com/ ...(coming!)
To join: please email the SIG conveners or to: info[at]iaoa.org
IAOA website: http://iaoa.org     (01)