iaoa-general

[iaoa-general] IAOA SWAO SIG inaugural meeting proceedings

To: "iaoa-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <iaoa-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 19:31:53 +0000

Folks,

We had a great inaugural meeting of the IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology Special Interest Group on November 25, 2013. The presentation material and the chat transcript appears at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?IAOA_SWAO_ConferenceCall_2013_11_25#nid4143. Also, the audio recording of the session is at: http://iaoa.cim3.net/file/pub/SIG/SemanticWeb-AppliedOntology/2013-11-25_SWAO-launch/IAOA-SWAO-SIG_Launch_20131125b.mp3.

Thanks much to our presenters:  Professor Michael Gruninger (U. Toronto, IAOA President), Professor Pascal Hitzler (Wright State U.), Professor Krzysztof Janowicz (U. California-Santa Barbara), Professor Till Mossakowski (U. Magdeburg), and Dr. Leo Obrst (MITRE, IAOA EC). And thanks also to Peter Yim (CIM3, Ontolog), who provided the infrastructure support and administration for this meeting.

There were many very valuable suggestions for the SWAO SIG by participants in the chat transcript, so make sure you review this.

In addition, Andrea Westerinen (Nine Points Solutions), Mike Bennett (Enterprise Data Management Council), and Elie Abi Lahoud (University College Cork – Ireland) have volunteered to help lead the SWAO SIG, along with invited participants Pascal Hitzler and Krzysztof Janowicz. We will address this issue, among others, at our next meeting of the IAOA SWAO SIG: to be determined, but sometime in January 2014. Stay tuned.

Others among the IAOA membership may also want to participate in the SWAO SIG. If so, please let us know of your interest. We invite input, as always, on the dimensions of the SIG: how might it be structured, what events and collaboration possibilities would be good, who we should reach out to in the IAOA and the larger community, and what we might accomplish towards bringing the Applied Ontology and the Semantic Web communities together.

Finally, please be aware that Ontology Summit 2014 has as theme a closely correlated topic: Big Data and Semantic Web Meets Applied Ontology. See the Ontology Summit 2014 page: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014. The Ontology Summit Organizing Committee has focused on planning this Summit out, with the Ontology Summit 2014 kickoff scheduled for January 16, 2014, 12:30 pm EST / 6:30 pm CET / 17:30 GMT. See the emerging page at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2014_01_16, and please place it on your schedule.

In addition, another relevant resource for the IAOA SWAO SIG is the current Ontology mini-series: Ontology, Rules, and Logic Programming for Reasoning and Applications (RulesReasoningLP) at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RulesReasoningLP. The next session for this series is January 9, 2014, 12:30 pm EST / 6:30 pm CET / 17:30 GMT: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2014_01_09, with topic: Rule Standards: CommonLogic, RuleML, and RIF.

Thanks!

Leo Obrst, on behalf of the IAOA EC and the IAOA Semantic Web Applied Ontology Special Interest Group