iaoa-education

Re: [iaoa-education] Consolidation of issues

To: IAOA Education Committee <iaoa-education@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Dr. Adam M. Goldstein PhD MSLIS" <z_californianus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 19:17:23 -0400

On Sep 21, 2012, at 2:45 PM, Fabian Neuhaus <fneuhaus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:    (01)

> Adam,
>

>> 3. Crowd-sourcing (differences articulated)
>>      Open discussion up to all of IAOA membership
>> OR
>>      Restrict discussion to members of the lexicon working group
>
> The dichotomy of "restricted" vs. "open" might be interpreted in a misleading
>way. As far as I am concerned (and I would be very surprised if Antony sees
>this differently), any interested IAOA member is welcome to join the education
>committee and its subcommittees. Thus, no IAOA member is restricted from
>participating in the lexicon project.
>
> Thus, the only choice is whether the discussion within the subcommittee
>should take place on the general IAOA member list or on some other list. One
>reason for having specialized committees and associated mailing list is that
>not everybody in the IAOA is interested in everything that is going on. Thus,
>it seems obvious to me that we don't want to have a terminology discussion on
>the IAOA member list, but on a mailing list whose audience is restricted to
>people who are likely interested in the subject. So either the discussion
>should happen on a designated mailing list for the subcommittee or it should
>happen on the education committee list.
>
> I recommend to continue to use the education committee list, because you will
>get the benefit of contributions from people  who are interested but do not
>have the time to commit to regular contributions. Frank's email is a good case
>in point. By the way, all EC council members are on the education mailing
>list; thus, this is also a way to keep the EC in the loop.
>     (02)

OK, unless there are dissenting opinions, I think we can declare that we have
decided to continue to use the education committee list.    (03)

Unless I am missing it somehow, are there others out there with suggestions
about how to proceed? Do we have any specific goals at this point? I will try
to add to the proposed list of terms and also see if I can add to definitions.    (04)

------------------
Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS
--
z_californianus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx