cctont-imp

Re: [cctont-imp] work progress: Protege version]

To: CCT Ontology Implementation <cctont-imp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Cassidy <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:56:46 -0500
Evan,
   Concerning your question:    (01)

> I'm not that familiar with Core Protege.  Is there any way to show only select
> modules?  As it is, its a bit like having a flat file system with the
> system files (in this case - SYSTEM-CLASS, CONSTRAINT, <=>, etc) and user
>files
> all in the same space.  Also, it would also be nice to view just the CCTONT
> elements without seeing all the SUMO constructs (while still being able to
>navigate
> to the underlying SUMO constructs when needed).    (02)

    I feel the same way.  At the Protege conference at NIH this summer, I talked
to Natasha Noy, and she said that one of the extensions to the PROMPT plugin
that might be possible would be to allow restricted views of that kind, even
while all the logical processing is performed on the full ontology in the
background.  But, as usual, to do that is non-trivial and would need to have
some kind of perceptible demand, followed by funding.  Right now, one might
extract trees and view them individually (one could do that using a utility
working on the text files), but that would not provide the kind of
functionality
that would really be useful.  PROMPT should be able to do tree-extraction like
that, but I haven't been able to get it to work in my present system, with
Protege 2.1.
    My own feeling is that ontologies will never be used to their full
potential unless some means of creating a restricted view like that is
developed.  I think it would be useful even to experienced ontologists, and
more
so to less experienced ones.  I have suggested that kind of utility as an
integral part of any project to develop a Standard Upper Ontology, so that
people can have and see exactly what they want, no more and no less, while
still
having their concepts logically consistent with the remainder of the ontologies
that they have to (or may have to) interoperate with.  It wouldn't take a lot
of
money, but it will take some.    (03)

    Pat    (04)

Patrick Cassidy    (05)

MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer above)
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054    (06)

internet:   cassidy@xxxxxxxxx
To  Post: mailto:cctont-imp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Msg Archives: http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/cctont-imp/