bsp-forum

Re: [bsp-forum] Join us for the Building Service Performance Regular Mee

To: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: BSP Forum <bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Finith E Jernigan AIA <finith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:22:24 -0400
Peter, et al.,

Here are the login details for the webinar tomorrow:

Building Service Performance Regular Meeting 6/30/08 1:30PM EST
Monday, June 30, 2008 1:30 PM - 3:00 PM EDT (10:30 AM - 12:00 PM PDT)

Regularily scheduled meeting for *Monday 30 June 2008*.  There's plenty to discuss before the project kickoff.

The Building Service Performance Project Kickoff is set for Monday the 14th of July, and responses started coming in within 1/2 hour of the invitation being sent.

The agenda will include discussions of the following topics:

- Opening and welcome (3 minutes)
- Conference call / webinar etiquette (5 minutes)
- Long Term Goals (20 minutes)
- Making what we do make sense (5 minutes)
- Current opportunities (10 minutes)
- General principles in Ontology authoring (5 minutes)
- Kick-off meeting July 14th, 2008 (7 minutes)

By seperate email we have forwarded a mindmap with agenda details and two pdf files for those without MindManager. If you did not get them contact finith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NB. We are testing www.gotowebinar.com for this meeting and will be using the web interface for presenting the agenda items. Dial-in to the meeing is via the phone numbers included with this notice.

You will need to register at https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/341175922, if you wish to participate in the online portion of this webinar.

NOTE that if you intend to speak in the webinar, you should dial-in using the Panelist Phone Number and Panelist Access Code below.

Webinar ID: 341175922

Panelist: (616) 883-8033, access code 537-824-711

Attendee: (616) 883-8055, access code 246-141-802

Webinar Password: Not required

This system is being used successfully for the US BIMstorms. It has been successfully used with large groups for several years for web based meetings, with a minimum of fuss and problems. We have tried most of the available options, both paid and open-source. I have no idea whether this complies with the Ontolog call infrastructure.

The last 2-3 conference calls, using the Ontolog system, were very problematic, with extensive talk-over, static and difficulty in hearing and following the conversation. Perhaps this subgroup doesn't fully understand how to use the Ontolog system. Perhaps the Ontolog system needs to be improved. I don't know which it is, but I suspect that, were people not so committed to working BSP issue, some might have walked away based on the level of communications difficulties in the last two meetings.

This is only one approach and it is a paid service. In this case Design Atlantic is bearing the cost in the interest of moving the effort forward. We have spent (and continue to spend) a lot of time trying to identify a comparable open-source product in this space. Unfortunately, this is one area where our circle of BIM advocates have yet to find an open source product that is even close to the low-end paid systems; especially from an ease of use and quality of user experience perspective. In our work we use two simple standards: when open source products are as good or better and/or get the job done to a high standard, we use them; and whatever we use it has to be easy for even the most challenged participant to use.

This issue could take up the majority of the meeting tomorrow, if that is how the group chooses to spend the time. In the interests of tomorrow's meeting moving forward on the full agenda, I have attached approximate time limits to arrive at a 55 minute meeting. I have the meeting scheduled for 1 1/2 hours, so there is plenty of time to continue discussion on critical items, should those in attendance choose to run over.

I believe that it might be best to schedule separate threads/meetings to work on simple, clean and clear communication technology that complies with the Ontolog standards.

Thanks,
Finith

btw. Up to this point, it appears that people have been 'registering separately' for the conference calls, but on a catch-as-catch-can basis. Some names get on the list, so do not. There seems to be a disconnect between who has 'pre-registered ' and who has not, with too much time spent figuring out who is on the call. In the case of this system, registration eliminates much of that confusion and allows for automating pre-meeting announcements, polls and after meeting follow-up. If everyone logs into the web interface, we also know exactly who is in the meeting. FEJ