bsp-forum
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [bsp-forum] Energy Dictionary

To: "'BSP Forum'" <bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:59:06 -0700
Message-id: <012d01c8b06c$0b73bcb0$6401a8c0@BobDell>

Hi Deborah,

The 17 factors are listed below: and the full document TEMPLATE is attached. Most of the 478 incorporated Cities within the State of California are required to have a General Plan with 7 Elements that form the foundations for public service planning and land use coordination between developers, land owners, utilities, transportation and water czars, etc.

So Building Service Performance metrics are being used, however informally, when a request to build or modify an existing building occurs within one of the 478 Cities or 50+  Counties in California.

The 92 Questions asked by these 17 Factors have sources, and increasingly for these 478 Cities and related public agencies, a TEMPLATE and Controlled Vocabulary with OCCS-FIATECH awareness has significant untapped potential (My 2 Cents….)

ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS POTENTIALLY AFFECTED:

The environmental factors checked below would be potentially affected by this project, involving at least one impact that is a “Potentially Significant Impact” or is “Potentially Significant Unless Mitigated,” as indicated by the checklist on the following pages.

¨Land Use / Planning

¨ Transportation / Traffic

o Public Services

o Population / Housing

¨ Biological Resources

¨ Utilities / Service Systems

o Geology / Soils

o Mineral Resources

o Aesthetics

oHydrology / Water Quality

o Hazards and Hazardous Materials

o Cultural Resources

¨ Air Quality

o Noise

o Recreation

o Agriculture Resources

o Mandatory Findings of Significance

===========================================================

California currently uses a process called CEQA (Calif. Environmental Quality Act) to evaluate a building proposal.

Currently the State policies, rules, regulations, and logic are legal entities not necessarily supported by advanced IT services.

As I mentioned earlier, the State’s Global Warming Solutions Act (AB32) has initiated a Climate Act Team (CAT) Portal and efforts are directed towards increased semantic capability in some domains.

I have been involved for about 14 months, and have much to learn about the existing Assessment Processes and opportunities to radically improve the categories (and possibly Process Ontologies) to reduce processing time, effort, confusion, and wide-spread frustration with good policies initiated years ago but never effectively integrated. (And thus providing lawyers with much work).

What our review team ( a Retired Boeing Rocket Scientist, local Attorney, and myself) have been concerned with is the lack of an overall framework. So making a DETERMINATION is not simple.

DETERMINATION

(To be completed by the Lead Agency)

On the basis of this initial evaluation:

I find that the proposed project could not have a significant effect on the environment, and a Negative Declaration will be prepared.

x

I find that although the proposed project could have a significant effect on the environment, there will not be a significant effect in this case because the mitigation measures described on an attached sheet have been added to the project.  A MITIGATED Negative Declaration will be prepared.

¨

I find that the proposed project may have a significant effect on the environment, and an Environmental Impact Report is required.

o

I find that the proposed project may have a “potentially significant impact” or a “potentially significant unless mitigated impact” on the environment, but at least one impact (1) has been adequately analyzed in an earlier document pursuant to applicable legal standards, and (2) has been addressed by mitigation measures based on the earlier analysis as described on attached sheets.  An Environmental Impact Report is required, but it must analyze only the effects that remain to be addressed.

o

I find that although the proposed project could have a significant effect on the environment, because all potentially significant effects (a) have been analyzed adequately in an earlier EIR or NEGATIVE DECLARATION pursuant to applicable standards, and (b) have been avoided or mitigated pursuant to that earlier EIR or NEGATIVE DECLARATION, including revisions or mitigation measures that are imposed upon the proposed project, nothing further is required.

¨

IF needed, I can send the full EA and the Housing Element upon which it is based.

Cheers,

Bob

From: bsp-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bsp-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Deborah MacPherson
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 8:14 AM
To: BSP Forum
Subject: [bsp-forum] Energy Dictionary

Hi BSP -

I just received an energy dictionary from Dave Conover at the International Code Council. His explanation is as follows "This was derived from the ICC energy code and can certainly provide a foundation for other energy-related documents (ASHRAE 90.1, USGBC criteria, 10 CFR Part 435, etc.) with maybe the need for additional terms and properties should what we have developed not completely address what is covered in those documents (for instance another property for roofs is reflectance and emissivity that could be added as properties of roofing materials).  In addition there may be other issues such as cost that are properties of materials that while not code relevant other use cases would want to append.  The concept is as we develop these to provide them to the Alliance as well as CSI and others.  Through CSI we hope to build a US dictionary and upload US information to the IFD.  We also develop MVDs from this, which will be available to others as well.  Clearly it makes sense to have everyone on the same page and working together."

The Alliance is BuildingSmart
CSI is the Construction Specification Institute
IFD is International Framework for Dictionaries
MVDs are Model View Definitions

I'm going to start pouring over this to see how it fits with the building templates. Bob - can you please describe more about "Factors to use in answering 92 queries required of 17 parts of an Environmental Assessment in the State of California" maybe this can be an example?

Thanks,

Deborah

--

Deborah L. MacPherson
Projects Director, Accuracy&Aesthetics
Specifier, WDG Architecture PLLC

Attachment: EB_ EA_Template.doc
Description: MS-Word document

Shared Files: http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/BSP/ 
Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?BuildingServicePerformance    (01)
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>