bsp-forum

Re: [bsp-forum] Energy Dictionary

To: "'BSP Forum'" <bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bob Smith" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:59:06 -0700

Hi Deborah,

The 17 factors are listed below: and the full document TEMPLATE is attached. Most of the 478 incorporated Cities within the State of California are required to have a General Plan with 7 Elements that form the foundations for public service planning and land use coordination between developers, land owners, utilities, transportation and water czars, etc.

So Building Service Performance metrics are being used, however informally, when a request to build or modify an existing building occurs within one of the 478 Cities or 50+  Counties in California.

The 92 Questions asked by these 17 Factors have sources, and increasingly for these 478 Cities and related public agencies, a TEMPLATE and Controlled Vocabulary with OCCS-FIATECH awareness has significant untapped potential (My 2 Cents….)

ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS POTENTIALLY AFFECTED:

The environmental factors checked below would be potentially affected by this project, involving at least one impact that is a “Potentially Significant Impact” or is “Potentially Significant Unless Mitigated,” as indicated by the checklist on the following pages.

¨Land Use / Planning

¨ Transportation / Traffic

o Public Services

o Population / Housing

¨ Biological Resources

¨ Utilities / Service Systems

o Geology / Soils

o Mineral Resources

o Aesthetics

oHydrology / Water Quality

o Hazards and Hazardous Materials

o Cultural Resources

¨ Air Quality

o Noise

o Recreation

o Agriculture Resources

o Mandatory Findings of Significance

California currently uses a process called CEQA (Calif. Environmental Quality Act) to evaluate a building proposal.

Currently the State policies, rules, regulations, and logic are legal entities not necessarily supported by advanced IT services.

As I mentioned earlier, the State’s Global Warming Solutions Act (AB32) has initiated a Climate Act Team (CAT) Portal and efforts are directed towards increased semantic capability in some domains.

I have been involved for about 14 months, and have much to learn about the existing Assessment Processes and opportunities to radically improve the categories (and possibly Process Ontologies) to reduce processing time, effort, confusion, and wide-spread frustration with good policies initiated years ago but never effectively integrated. (And thus providing lawyers with much work).

What our review team ( a Retired Boeing Rocket Scientist, local Attorney, and myself) have been concerned with is the lack of an overall framework. So making a DETERMINATION is not simple.

DETERMINATION

(To be completed by the Lead Agency)

On the basis of this initial evaluation:

I find that the proposed project could not have a significant effect on the environment, and a Negative Declaration will be prepared.

I find that although the proposed project could have a significant effect on the environment, there will not be a significant effect in this case because the mitigation measures described on an attached sheet have been added to the project.  A MITIGATED Negative Declaration will be prepared.

¨

I find that the proposed project may have a significant effect on the environment, and an Environmental Impact Report is required.

I find that the proposed project may have a “potentially significant impact” or a “potentially significant unless mitigated impact” on the environment, but at least one impact (1) has been adequately analyzed in an earlier document pursuant to applicable legal standards, and (2) has been addressed by mitigation measures based on the earlier analysis as described on attached sheets.  An Environmental Impact Report is required, but it must analyze only the effects that remain to be addressed.

I find that although the proposed project could have a significant effect on the environment, because all potentially significant effects (a) have been analyzed adequately in an earlier EIR or NEGATIVE DECLARATION pursuant to applicable standards, and (b) have been avoided or mitigated pursuant to that earlier EIR or NEGATIVE DECLARATION, including revisions or mitigation measures that are imposed upon the proposed project, nothing further is required.

¨

IF needed, I can send the full EA and the Housing Element upon which it is based.

Cheers,

Bob