bsp-forum

Re: [bsp-forum] SMARTcodes

To: "BSP Forum" <bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:55:14 -0400
What could feasibly be done now could be defining a......flowchart or process.

Even as complex as ALL the OmniClass tables, and ALL the MasterFormat Sections, and ALL the building codes are in force today - it is still a finite set of information. The same topics or threads run through most of them, just described or classified in different ways.

Broadly, going from OCCS > UniFormat > MasterFormat almost any building could have:
21 51 51 14 Cooling > D3030 Cooling Generating Systems > 23 05 00 Common Work Results for HVAC

This little part of any building has a set of energy codes that apply. There are many more codes that do not apply and in this example, all the rest do not matter.

In California Green Building Standards Code, Part 11, Title 24, 504.3.1 HVAC a new requirement is "The preprogrammed demand response strategies shall be capable of reducing the peak HVAC demand by cooling temperature set point adjustment"

A mechanical engineer could take these parameters and design a system to meet the code. They select products, the contractor builds the system, the commissioned air handler now needs to accommodate the oBIX agent in their controls. Where, how and when does that happen? Where is the right place to document this HAS been correctly specified and delivered? Who checks it from the oBIX agent side?

This is one sample just to show where the checkpoints are. Another could be Energy Star Roof, both are proposed elements of the Fire Station that could be shown as 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7.  An image is attached here called "High Level Explain" where critical points are marked. The beginning of the process to specify and provide an air handler could be depicted, a goal for it to be shut down in response to a report inside or outside the building does not have its points defined yet.

Just a sample layout in words or a numbered list could state the goal, probably an image or flowchart could be made. This process then could be used for another sample sequence, and another, and another so architects, city planners, fire departments and whoever can see how the entire process works (or could work) outside their contribution to a BIM or city plan.