bsp-forum

Re: [bsp-forum] FW: I'd like to set up an Ontolog project

To: "Ontolog Building Systems Performance group (bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Considine, Toby (Campus Services IT)" <Toby.Considine@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:06:55 -0400
(note change of address to forum space)    (01)

- recent activity in the capital projects space concerning equipment tends to
be related to ISO 15926. ISO 15926 is getting a lot of traction in the process
control and in the oil and gas industries.    (02)

- the International Foundation Classes (IFC) are the foundation of the BIM
models, particularly the US standard NBIMS and its international brother
buildingSmart.    (03)

These two are in my view, somewhat complementary, as 15926 is very string in
equipment but weak in architecture, and IFC is strong in architecture and
structural engineering but weaker in equipment. FIATECH is exploring whether
they can be somewhat united, perhaps starting with applying COBIE metadata to
15926 deliverables.    (04)

There is also an AEX standard for equipment in the supply chain. It is designed
to allow ready comparison between specifications, [vendor] proposals, bidding,
and acquisition. It was developed with an eye toward being readily
transformable to either 15926 or IFC    (05)

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so
regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened
for us." -- Alexander Graham Bell    (06)

Toby Considine
Chair, OASIS oBIX TC
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina