Re: [ontolog-forum] A mini series around "Database & Ontologies" ?

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Tatiana Malyuta" <tmalyuta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:42:15 -0400
Hello,    (01)

I am the person who requested the discussion of ontology-database topic.
Thanks for responding. I tried to analyze the opinions, added my own
concerns based on extensive data modeling and database implementation
experience and very limited experience in modeling ontologies, and
suggested the list of problems that I consider interesting for
discussions (please see the attached file). Maybe this list can be
helpful for defining the topics and structure the discussion about
onotlogies/databases in the mini series proposed by Peter?    (02)

Sincerely,    (03)

Tanya    (04)

Tatiana Malyuta, PhD
Associate Professor
Computer Systems Technology Department
New York City College of Technology
>>> peter.yim@xxxxxxxx 08/17/06 11:32 AM >>>
In view of the overwhelming interest regarding the subject of
"Database & Ontologies," maybe we should do a mini-series
(invited talks, discussions, community projects, ... etc.) on it.    (05)

Here's a draft plan, which I hope we can kick around a little,
until we can get something tangible together:    (06)

1. We'll schedule a 4 to 6 part series, over the next 3~4 months.    (07)

2. Candidate sessions** could be something like:    (08)

(a) An invited talk by someone who can give us an *overview on
"The status quo, and what are the issues & pain points"* (...
need suggestion on WHO this could be!)    (09)

(b) A *panel discussion on applications* and use case examples    (010)

(c) possibly some *invited expert speakers* (in between the
discussion sessions), addressing specific issue(s) or subject(s)
of great interest within this or this-and-related domain(s). [For
this session, suggest we partially waive our open IPR policy***,
so that we can see some proprietary applications as well, if we
can get the right people to present them.]    (011)

(d) A *panel discussion on tools* -- what's available, what's on
the horizon, ...etc. [For this session, suggest we partially
waive our open IPR policy***, so that we can see some proprietary
tools as well, if we can get the right people to present them.]    (012)

(e) *"What's Next, and What can we do as a community"* that could
be of mutual interest and benefit? -- discussion on possible
community projects, team-ups, ... future pursuits, suggested
research problems, ... etc.    (013)

   **Every detail above is subject to change and improvement (by
suggestions and consensus from the community.)    (014)

   ***Ontolog IPR Policy - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32    (015)

3. We openly discuss, make suggestions (say for speakers we'd
love to hear from, products we want to look into, applications of
interest, ... etc.) over this forum (asynchronously) over the
next couple of weeks.    (016)

4. We then get together (synchronously) on Thu 2006.08.31 at one
of the regular Ontolog weekly calls, and try to consolidate the
plan and tie everything down.    (017)

Suggestions, comments, more ideas, ... Always Welcomed!
(especially from those who have already indicated interest, or is
interested in the subject) ... This is the chance to influence
how useful this series will be for you!    (018)

Regards.  =ppy
--    (019)