[ontolog-forum] updated MITRE paper: Towards the Use of an Upper Ontolo

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "SUO" <standard-upper-ontology@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Pulvermacher, Mary K." <pulver@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Semy, Salim K." <ssemy@xxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 14:38:28 -0500
All,

I'm pleased to announce an updated version of our paper:

Towards the Use of an Upper Ontology for U.S. Government and Military Domains: An Evaluation

Authors:
Salim K. Semy, The MITRE Corporation
Mary K. Pulvermacher, The MITRE Corporation
Leo J. Obrst, The MITRE Corporation

ABSTRACT

Momentum is gaining to develop a Semantic Web to allow people and machines to share the meaning (semantics) of data and ultimately of applications. Key to the vision of a Semantic Web is the ability to capture data and application semantics in ontologies and map these ontologies together via related concepts. One approach for mapping disparate ontologies is to use a standard upper ontology. In determining how Semantic Web technologies might be applied to United States (U.S.) Government domains, we consider whether the use of standard upper ontologies makes sense in these environments. This paper attempts to examine current candidate standard upper ontologies and assess their applicability for a U.S. Government or U.S. Military domain. We evaluate the state of the art and applicability of upper ontologies through the lens of potential application in these domains. The evaluation includes consideration of the ontology purpose, ontological content decisions, licensing restrictions, structural differences, and maturity. We conclude with some recommendations and predictions.

Thanks,
Leo
Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA