RE: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: Agenda ideas for Thursday telephone call]

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Yunker, John" <yunker@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:07:13 -0800
Apologies for not being able to be on the call this morning.    (01)

With respect to the agenda item: "why develop an ontology based on UBL".    (02)

There are dozens of standards groups that are, like UBL, developing business
documents that will be used for aligning business state across multiple trading
partners.  Most of these groups are specific to a particular industry like
Aerospace, Automotive, Travel, Chemical, Retail, and Transportation.    (03)

The UBL content is based upon UN/CEFACT core components.  This framework has
layered semantic in two levels:
1) Core Component:  These are context free syntax-neutral information blocks
like addresses, products, currency amounts, etc.
2) Business Information Entity:  These are context specific syntax-neutral
specializations of the core components like shipTo.address and
replenishment.order    (04)

UBL then constructs business documents for exchange between trading partners
that are based upon these core semantic components.    (05)

Most of the larger standards groups from around the world are participating in
the UN/CEFACT core components initiative.      (06)

The construction of the library of core components by UN/CEFACT is just now
getting under way.  The core components technical specification has been
released for world-wide comment leading to adoption as an international
specification.    (07)

This conceptual space (ebusiness message content and structure) would benefit
from the development of an ontology.  I hope that research conducted by this
group would be submitted to UN/CEFACT for consideration and use in the
construction of the core set of conceptual business information blocks and
conceptual business objects.    (08)

Thanks!
John    (09)