OpenOntologyRepository: Architecture & API Workshop-III - Fri 2011_03_25    (2PWA)

Note that we have a hard stop after 1 hour, and therefore, we need to start the session promptly. Please try to dial-in 5 minutes before the scheduled start-time. Be careful about the start time too, due to varying Daylight Saving Time implementation at different countries now!    (2QNE)

Topic: "OOR Architecture & API Specification Development Workshop-III"    (2PWB)

Session Co-chairs: KenBaclawski & ToddSchneider    (2PWC)

Conference Call Details:    (2PWD)

Attendees    (2PX2)

Agenda Ideas:    (2PXD)

please insert any additional items below (along with your name for follow-up purposes)    (2PXE)

Abstract:    (2PXK)

As a result of the two OOR Architecture and API panel sessions, we have seen a large number of architectures and APIs for ontology repositories. We have had requirements for the OOR, at least in broad outline form, since the Ontology Summit 2008. We have been running an OOR sandbox based on BioPortal. Most recently, we have forked from the BioPortal code base with the intention of proceeding separately with the development of a reference implementation.    (2PXL)

The various architectures and APIs for ontology repositories are available at OpenOntologyRepository_Architecture    (2PXM)

At this meeting we begin the process of producing the actual OOR specification. It will be run as a workshop where the straw man proposal will be discussed and modified as needed.    (2PXN)

Here is the straw man architecture: OpenOntologyRepository_Architecture/Candidate03    (2PXO)

In addition, there is an API of the core services that was obtained from BioPortal, which is not entirely compatible with the straw man architecture, but furnishes a starting point. This API will also be discussed and modified as needed.    (2PXP)

Here is the API expressed in WSDL:    (2PXQ)

Here is the API expressed in Java:    (2PXR)

Finally, we need to agree on a plan for completing the development of the specification.    (2PXS)

Here is the proposed organizing plan: OpenOntologyRepository_Architecture/GettingOrganized    (2PXT)

We encourage all to up date your candidate contributions to ensure your ideas are known and understood.    (2PXU)

The following are relevant prior meetings:    (2PXV)

Agenda & Proceedings    (2PY1)

1. Meeting called to order:    (2PY2)

2. Roll Call & Adoption of last meeting's minutes:    (2PY6)

3. Key items for review and discussion today:    (2PY8)

 -- begin in-session chat-transcript --    (2QRU)
        PeterYim: = OpenOntologyRepository: Architecture & API Workshop-III - Fri 2011_03_25 =    (2QRV)
        anonymous TimDarr    (2QRW)
        PeterYim: KenBaclawski and All: minutes of the last meeting adopted, as captured on the  
        session page at:    (2QRX)
        PeterYim: ref. KenBaclawski's documentation on "workflow" 
        - see:    (2QRY)
        PeterYim: paper is at: and the API is 
        at:    (2QRZ)
        PeterYim: ref. use cases documentation, see:    (2QS0)
        PeterYim: OOR use cases, in particular, see:    (2QS1)
        PeterYim: Ken and Todd ... if you could capture some of the conversation into the chat for the records, 
        that would be great!    (2QS2)
        ToddSchneider: The architecture diagram on 
        has been updated to the 11 March 2011 changes.    (2QS3)
        ToddSchneider: Definition: Workflow = a sequence of possible actions that can be undertaken in the system    (2QS4)
        ToddSchneider: The OOR supports a multiplicity of workflows    (2QS5)
        ToddSchneider: Registrar - Human Role: 0) Approves workflows or change thereto; 1) Approves workflow stewards (for a community)    (2QS6)
        KenBaclawski: The problem of the granularity of registration is a continuing issue. While there 
        is general agreement that the granule (administered item) should be an ontology version 
        (or ontology module version) as well as associated item such as mappings, configurations, 
        this clashes somewhat with the OOR API that we have right now (based on BioPortal) which has methods for 
        updating ontologies.    (2QS7)
        KenBaclawski: To allow the OOR to develop independently of BioPortal while at the same time 
        taking advantage of the continuing development of BioPortal, I suggested that the Workflow component 
        act as a facade (in the sense of design patterns) over the BioPortal core.    (2QS8)
 -- end of in-session chat-transcript --    (2QS9)

4. Any Other Business:    (2PYC)

5. Action items:    (2PYD)

6. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:    (2PYE)

 notes taken by: PeterYim / 2011.03.27-1:45m PDT
 All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.    (2PYM)

Resources    (2PYN)